What are some biodegradable egg drop project ideas?

In summary: This is not a sophisticated idea, but for my egg drop I simply filled a box with cheerios and placed the egg inside. The cheerios break easily and spread the weight of the egg nicely. Not only that, but they're very light and no complex construction is required. My egg drop survived a drop of about 20-30 feet with no problems at all, though I never tested it higher.In summary, this student is suggesting that they make a simple egg-drop container out of Styrofoam and cardboard. They suggest using a cork screw to spin the container and decrease its descent, and leaving the egg inside. This is a simple and effective solution that does not require any advanced engineering.
Madd069

Homework Statement

Im sure most of us have heard about and done an egg drop project sometime in our lives, and right now is the time to do mine.

We will be dropping the egg that is inside of our project from the second story of a building, and then from the third story. We are allowed to use any kind of glue, toothpicks, and drinking straws. The glue cannot be attached to the egg after its landed (meaning no wet glue or gluing the egg to something), and the egg cannot be modified (cannot be soaked in vinegar, etc). The project has to weigh less than 200g, and bonus points are awarded for projects less than 100g.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is really the only idea I have come up with.
Make a small box to put the egg in out of toothpicks, then put a layer of glue down to hold the box together. Put another layer of toothpicks and glue down for more reenforcement (I have to drop this twice). Then evenly space the straws apart and cut them so they fit horizontally into the "box", and keep switching the direction the are facing as each row is layed down (my thinking here is the straws would provide cushioning for the egg with air gaps all around).

So is this even worth a try? Anyone have any other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting twist on an old assignment. In general, the egg that survives will be the one in the box that is allowed to shatter or crumple.

I'd ditch the toothpicks completely and try a geometrical ball of straws, as larges as possible and with as much space as possible. Use a good plastic cement, and hold the bonds with clothespins till they are set.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. Are you saying just get a bunch of straws, twist them around and wrap each straw inside of itself, and then glue it all together? Need egg drop project ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
Straws are strong (at least axially) and are very lightweight, and they have a cross-sectional area that makes them better for air-braking than toothpicks. Ditch the picks. You may want to consider constructing a container from straws that is shaped in such a way to incorporate air-foils that will cause the container to rotate and air-brake its way to the ground. Any ideas now? I'm not going to go any further in this advice until you come up with some viable lines of attack.

u could use the ball idea and make outside out of straw as well. but stick the toothpicks through the straws as added support and it should work well. if a toothpick or 2snaps it shouldbe fine. the straws should cushion most of the fall and if u can make it rigid enough the egg might not slam into the straws. good luck

The Egg Drop project is a classic experiment that challenges students to create a contraption that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from various heights. Here are some creative Egg Drop project ideas:

1. Parachute Egg Drop:Build a parachute system that slows down the fall of the egg. You can experiment with different parachute designs, materials, and sizes to see which one works best.
  2. Helicopter Egg Drop:Create a helicopter-like device that spins as it falls, providing stability and slowing down the descent. Students can use paper, plastic, or other lightweight materials.
  3. Bungee Jump Egg Drop:Use rubber bands or bungee cords to create a bungee jumping mechanism for the egg. Adjust the length and elasticity of the cords to achieve a safe landing.
  4. Balloon-Powered Egg Drop:Attach a balloon to the egg contraption. As the balloon deflates, it provides a controlled descent for the egg. Experiment with different balloon sizes and inflation levels.
  5. Egg Capsule:Design a capsule or container that absorbs the impact when the egg hits the ground. Consider using materials like foam, bubble wrap, or gel padding.
  6. Glider Egg Drop:Construct a glider that carries the egg safely to the ground. Explore various wing shapes and sizes for better flight stability.
  7. Eggstronaut:Turn the egg drop into an outer space-themed project. Design a rocket or space capsule to protect your "eggstronaut" during reentry.
  8. Water Landing:Incorporate a water element by landing the egg in a container of water. The challenge is to create a device that can safely land on the water's surface.
  9. Food Packaging:Use food items like pasta, noodles, or marshmallows to cushion the egg. Students can experiment with different food materials to protect the egg upon impact.
  10. Multi-Stage Egg Drop:Create a multi-stage contraption where different mechanisms activate at various stages of the fall. For example, a parachute could deploy, followed by a cushioning system.

This is not a sophisticated idea, but for my egg drop I simply filled a box with cheerios and placed the egg inside. The cheerios break easily and spread the weight of the egg nicely. Not only that, but they're very light and no complex construction is required. My egg drop survived a drop of about 20-30 feet with no problems at all, though I never tested it higher.

Don't overthink the matter!

Cut a block of styrofoam into a stout cylinder and hollow out the inside so the walls are about an inch thick. Cut cardboard, or thick paper into a circle, about the same diameter as the styrofoam, and put it inside in a cork screw shape. Make another styrofoam cylinder, a tad larger than the egg, and, after hollowing it out, attatch it to the bottom of the "screw". Placing it on the bottom will give it some pull, which will make it spin and decrease the downward acceleration.

Leave the egg inside the chicken ?

Better start breeding a 200g chicken then.

LowlyPion said:
Better start breeding a 200g chicken then.
I only come up with brilliant innovative 'thinking outside the box' solutions - it's upto engineering to make them work!

mgb_phys said:
I only come up with brilliant innovative 'thinking outside the box' solutions - it's upto engineering to make them work!

I'm afraid in this case you need some outside the chicken thinking.

Memo to marketing ...

When I did this in grade 1, I used a 2L pop bottle (one of these: http://www.caymanshoppers.com/images/diet%20sprite%202L.jpg - image found through google), cut off the bottom, filled it with foam sponges, stuck the egg in the middle and added more foam sponges. We couldn't get the egg to break just by dropping it.

I remember some headmaster hiring a helicopter so he could throw eggs out the door and prove to his no doubt underwhelmed pupils that at least some of the eggs would survive as long as they reached terminal velocity. Birds have had some evolutionary time to perfect this sort of thing.

So throw the eggs as high as you can and maybe that'll work.

use cotton balls to buffer the eggs from impact

Are you limited to only straws and toothpicks? If not, I suggest ditching the straws. I just got the paper for my egg drop (actually more like "egg chunk") project today, and the teacher showed us videos of last year's projects. The egg in the straws died.

This a good idea, egg drop

somedaysgeek said:
This is not a sophisticated idea, but for my egg drop I simply filled a box with cheerios and placed the egg inside. The cheerios break easily and spread the weight of the egg nicely. Not only that, but they're very light and no complex construction is required. My egg drop survived a drop of about 20-30 feet with no problems at all, though I never tested it higher.

Don't overthink the matter!

ooooooooooo i like ill try that tomorrow when i do egg drop with the 5th grade its an awsome idea

mgb_phys said:
Leave the egg inside the chicken ?

good idea! no 1 has EVER thought of that i mean come on these people still have common sense

Well, we have the same thing that is due in 2 days, on Thursday. The rules are: The supplies used to make your project must be biodegradable, and it must be in a biodegradable box. Thats all. And what I did was take a tissue box, I bought some cotton balls at the store, I took the tissues out of the box. Then I crumpled the tissues up, put the cotton balls in, and stuffed the egg in, surrounded the egg. You can use that idea but please try to add a different detail in it. Just I thought it up myself lol. But feel free to use that idea. Also, if you want, you could probably add a parachute to it, you know, to make it drop easier and more slower. Ok, gtg. Bye!

1. What is an Egg Drop Project?

The Egg Drop Project is a classic physics experiment and educational activity where the goal is to design a container or structure that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height. It is commonly used in schools to teach principles of physics, engineering, and material science.

2. What are the Key Objectives of the Egg Drop Project?

The primary objectives of the Egg Drop Project are to understand the forces acting on a falling object, particularly impact force, and to apply principles of physics and engineering to design an effective protective mechanism for the egg. Creativity, problem-solving, and understanding of concepts like momentum, energy conservation, and shock absorption are also key learning outcomes.

3. What Materials are Typically Used in an Egg Drop Project?

Materials for an Egg Drop Project can vary widely, often including items like straws, balloons, tape, cardboard, cotton, bubble wrap, and paper. The choice of materials usually depends on the specific rules of the project, which might limit the type or amount of materials that can be used.

4. How Do Physics Concepts Apply to the Egg Drop Project?

Physics concepts like gravity, acceleration, momentum, and energy dissipation are crucial in the Egg Drop Project. Understanding these concepts helps in designing a structure that can reduce the impact force on the egg. For instance, a design that slows down the fall or distributes impact forces can effectively protect the egg.

5. What are Some Successful Strategies for Protecting the Egg?

Successful strategies often involve creating a structure that absorbs and dissipates the energy of the fall, such as padding around the egg, a parachute to slow the descent, or a design that distributes the impact force over a larger area. The key is to minimize the force transmitted to the egg during impact.

6. How Can One Test and Improve Their Egg Drop Design?

Testing and improving an Egg Drop design involves trial and error. Start by dropping the design from a lower height and gradually increase it. After each test, examine the egg and the structure for damage, and make adjustments accordingly. It's important to iterate the design to find the best combination of materials and structure for impact protection.