Thermal Expansion of Bubbles in a Lake

In summary, both bubbles expand but bubble A expands faster than bubble B. This causes bubble A to be larger than bubble B when they reach the surface.
Jeann25

Homework Statement

Two identical bubbles of gas form at the bottom of a lake, then rise to the surface. Because the pressure is much lower at the surface than at the bottom, both bubbles expand as they rise. However, bubble A rises very quickly, so that no heat is exchanged between it and the water. Meanwhile, bubble B rises slowly (impeded by a tangle of seaweed), so that is always remains in thermal equilibrium with the water (which has the same temperature everywhere). Which of the two bubbles is larger by the time they reach the surface? Explain your reasoning fully.

Homework Equations

isothermic -> W=NkT ln(Vf/Vi)
adiabatic -> VfTf^f/2=ViTi^f/2

(side question: What program do you use, or how do you make the typed out equations more readable?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for isothermal, Q is positive because it's an expansion, and that W is negative because the volume is increasing.
For adiabatic, Q=0, and ΔU=W, and W is negative, so ΔU is negative. And I know that U is proportional to T, so ΔT is negative.

I'm not sure where to go from there. I tried substitution with this, since I know Vi is equal for both bubbles. So I tried solving for Vi for one, and substituting this in for the other, and seeing how the values were influenced. But that didn't seem to really help in any way. I'm having trouble doing this conceptually as well. I need some help on where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making this harder for yourself than is needed. Remember: the pressures at the bottom and top are fixed (p1 and p2, say). What are the equations of state for the isothermal and adiabatic cases?

Are they:

isothermic -> W=NkT ln(Vf/Vi)
adiabatic -> NkdTf/2=-PdV

?

No. At least, not in the standard form.

Hint: The equation of state for an ideal gas under no constraints is: pV/T = constant.

What happens to this equation when you apply (i) isothermal, and (ii) adiabatic requirements?

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties of matter at the macroscopic level, particularly related to temperature, heat, and energy. It deals with the ways in which matter converts thermal energy into other forms of energy, and how it responds to changes in temperature and pressure.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of energy in a system. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy, or disorder, of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between molecules in a solid material. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as sunlight or thermal radiation.

4. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net flow of heat between them. In other words, the rate of heat transfer between the two objects is equal, and they will eventually reach the same temperature.

5. How is temperature related to the average kinetic energy of particles?

Temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, the average kinetic energy of its particles also increases. Similarly, as the temperature decreases, the average kinetic energy decreases. This relationship is described by the kinetic theory of gases.