Negative probability measure

In summary: S\N) <= 1 and so m(S\N) cannot be > 1.In summary, negative probabilities violate one of the three axioms of probability theory and are considered counterintuitive as they do not make sense in relation to the real world. While axioms can be dropped in the development of theories, the resulting theories may not apply to the same problems as before. However, it is possible to have a meaningful theory of measurements by allowing negative values, such as measuring the wealth of a population, but it may not necessarily relate back to probabilities.
OOO
Has anybody ever heard of some mathematical application of negative probabilities ? What problems arise from allowing negative probabilities ? Of course I know it is counterintuitive, but is there any chance for a reinterpretation of probability (maybe resulting in something very different) that allows negative values ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Negative probabilities violate one of the three axioms of probability theory as developed by Kolmogorov. A negative probability is akin to a negative magnitude. It doesn't make sense.

D H said:
Negative probabilities violate one of the three axioms of probability theory as developed by Kolmogorov. A negative probability is akin to a negative magnitude. It doesn't make sense.

In what respect do you say it doesn't make sense ? One can always drop axioms without getting contradictions. One just gets more general realizations.

How would negative probabilities make sense, when the theory is connected to the
real world?
Or if they don't, how can you make sure, that they only appear as intermediate results and not as final results of a calculation?

They don't necessarily need to make sense when connected to any generic probability problem in the real world though. In general, when you relax axioms, the theories that you get do not apply to the same problems anymore. Occasionally you will have that the new theories will apply to some parts of the problems that the old theory could be used with (for instance, some finite fields can be used to determine properties of integer arithmetic, but not just any finite field can be used for this and you cannot talk about all of integer arithmetic with finite fields)

As for the original question:
Probability theory is just the theory of taking measurements in some set so that (with m being the measurement function)
1: measurements all lie in [0,1]
2: if [tex]A \subset B[/tex], then [tex]m(A) \leq m(B)[/tex] (Is this one necessary or can you show it from the other two? I can't remember)
3: If A and B are disjoint sets, then [tex]m(A \cup B) = m(A) + m(B)[/tex]
4: the measure of the entire space is 1

I'm assuming that you just mean to throw out the 1st axiom since if you get rid of the last one as well, you could be measuring anything (E.g. the amount of money each person/group of people has with negative values meaning that the person is in debt)

If you keep the last one and just throw out the requirement that measurements be non-negative, you still get a meaningful theory of measurements (Though you may need to add the requirement that [tex]m(\varnothing) = 0[/tex] then). The only example I can think of off the top of my head is to consider the wealth of a population and measure the fraction of the total wealth that each person/group has (with negative values being debt). This example however doesn't immediately relate nicely back to probabilities. I can't promise that any example will, though I suspect that there are some that do.

[tex]A \subset B[/tex], then [tex]m(A) \leq m(B)[/tex] Look at B-A. Then A and B-A are disjoint.

zhentil said:
[tex]A \subset B[/tex], then [tex]m(A) \leq m(B)[/tex] Look at B-A. Then A and B-A are disjoint.

Thanks. I was a little tired when I wrote my last post, so I didn't see that.

Of course I should have realized that it's also false if negative measures and measures over 1 are allowed

Since if m(S) = 1 and there exists a subset N of S with m(N) < 0, then we must have that m(S\N) > 1. However, S\N is a subset of S

1. What is a negative probability measure?

A negative probability measure is a mathematical concept used in probability theory to describe events that have a negative probability of occurring. It is essentially a measure of uncertainty or belief in the opposite outcome of a traditional probability measure.

2. How is a negative probability measure different from a traditional probability measure?

A negative probability measure assigns negative values to events, whereas a traditional probability measure assigns values between 0 and 1. This means that a negative probability measure can represent events that are considered impossible or highly unlikely, whereas a traditional probability measure cannot.

3. Can a negative probability measure be applied to real-life situations?

No, a negative probability measure is a theoretical concept and does not have practical applications in real-life situations. It is used in mathematical models to better understand the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are some examples of events that may have a negative probability measure?

Some examples of events that may have a negative probability measure include outcomes that violate the laws of physics, such as time travel or perpetual motion, or events that are logically impossible, such as a square circle or a married bachelor.

5. How is the concept of a negative probability measure useful in science?

The concept of a negative probability measure is useful in science because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and phenomena. It can also help scientists identify and analyze events that are considered impossible or highly unlikely but may still have an impact on the overall system.