Zwiebach Page 183: Tracelessness with p^2=0?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses Zwiebach's equation 10.107 and its relation to the traceless condition for h_II. It is clarified that the traceless condition does not arise from 10.107 and that there is an implied summation in 10.101. The use of Einstein's summation convention is also discussed.
ehrenfest
Zwiebach page 182

Homework Statement

Zwiebach says equation 10.107 means h_II is traceless when p^2 equals 0. But it seems to me like p^2 = 0 would mean that every element in the diagonal would need be zero as opposed to only their sum? There is no implied summation in 10.107 is there?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

Zwiebach says equation 10.107 means h_II is traceless when p^2 equals 0.
That's not what he says. The fact that h is traceless comes from Eq 10.100 (see also 10.101).

Then, when he gets to 10.107, he says that if p^2=0, there is no condition at all on h^(IJ) arising from 10.107. But then he reminds the reader that H^(IJ) is not completely free since it must obey the equation 10.101, i.e. be traceless.

So the traceless condition does not arise from 10.107.

But it seems to me like p^2 = 0 would mean that every element in the diagonal would need be zero as opposed to only their sum? There is no implied summation in 10.107 is there?
But if p^2 =0, it means that we know nothing at all about the elements h^(IJ)! I don't see why you say that it tells us that all the elements are zero!

Okay, so it seems like there is an implied summation in 10.101 since apparently h^II really means the h_11 + h_22 + h_33 + h_44 ... h_dd = 0.

ehrenfest said:
Okay, so it seems like there is an implied summation in 10.101 since apparently h^II really means the h_11 + h_22 + h_33 + h_44 ... h_dd = 0.

Zwiebach uses Einstein's summation convention: whenever two indices are repeated, a summation over those that index is implied (there *are* some equations where an index is repeated but the summation is not implied. In those cases the author usually says explicitly that a summation is not implied. But if the author says nothing and an index is repeated, summation is implied).

In this equation, the index I appears twice as a superscript. I thought the Einstein summation convention only summed over indices that appeared once up and once down?

ehrenfest said:
In this equation, the index I appears twice as a superscript. I thought the Einstein summation convention only summed over indices that appeared once up and once down?

You are right if one uses a covariant formalism. But if one uses a noncovariant formalism like the light-cone coordinates, then one usually extends the summation convention to include indices that are both upstairs or downstairs.

I see. Thanks.

1. What is Zwiebach Page 183?

Zwiebach Page 183 refers to a specific page in the book "A First Course in String Theory" written by Barton Zwiebach. This page is important because it discusses the concept of tracelessness with p^2=0 in string theory.

2. What is tracelessness in string theory?

In string theory, tracelessness refers to the property of a string state having a trace of zero. This means that the sum of the eigenvalues of the string's position and momentum operators is equal to zero. This is important because it helps to simplify calculations and equations in string theory.

3. What does p^2=0 mean in string theory?

In string theory, p^2=0 refers to the mass-shell condition, where the square of the string's momentum is equal to its mass. This condition arises from the requirement that the string's worldsheet action must be conformally invariant.

4. Why is tracelessness with p^2=0 important in string theory?

Tracelessness with p^2=0 is important because it is a necessary condition for a string state to be physical. This condition ensures that the string's energy-momentum tensor is traceless, which is a crucial property for the consistency of string theory.

5. How is tracelessness with p^2=0 related to the Virasoro algebra?

The Virasoro algebra is a set of commutation relations between the generators of conformal transformations in string theory. Tracelessness with p^2=0 is closely related to the Virasoro algebra because it is a necessary condition for the algebra to close, meaning the commutators of the generators result in a finite set of generators. This is important for the consistency of string theory calculations and equations.