Integral of z^n on a closed contour

In summary, the integral of z^n with respect to z is equal to 0 when n is not equal to -1 and 2\pi i when n is -1. This can be derived by using a change of variables and the correct integration method.
futurebird
I'm trying to show that
[tex]\int_{c}z^{n}dz= \left\{\frac{0, n\neq-1}{2\pi i, n=-1}\right[/tex]

I did a change of variables with [tex]z=e^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]dz=ire^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]:

[tex]=i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{n+1}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=ir^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Moving the constant out.

[tex]=-(n+1)r^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta}{i(n+1)}[/tex] Getting ready to integrate.

[tex]=-r^{n+1}(n+1)\left[e^{i(n+1)\theta}\right]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]

[tex]=-r^{n+1}(n+1)[/tex]?

This is nothing like the answer... where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, your work is only valid when n + 1 is nonzero.

Secondly, your ultimate step doesn't follow from your penultimate step.

Thirdly, you computed the antiderivative wrong when going from your antepenultimate step to your penultimate step.

Hurkyl said:
Firstly, your work is only valid when n + 1 is nonzero.

Secondly, your ultimate step doesn't follow from your penultimate step.

Thirdly, you computed the antiderivative wrong when going from your antepenultimate step to your penultimate step.

Okay thanks.

If [itex]n+ 1\ne 0[/itex], what IS [tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex] and [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}[/tex]?

(It's NOT 1!)

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]n+ 1\ne 0[/itex], what IS [tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex] and [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}[/tex]?

(It's NOT 1!)

Wait why isn't [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}=1?[/tex] or are you talking about the whole integral?

[tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex]

[tex]=e^{2\pi i}e^{2\pi in}[/tex]

[tex]=e^{2\pi i}(e^{2\pi i})^n[/tex]

[tex]=(1)(1)^n[/tex]

[tex]=1[/tex]

I thought that I fixed my errors since I had the correct solution after integrating in the right way. Then I looked at what happened when n=-1 and everything seemed fine.

But, if this is wrong, then I'm still missing something.

****Nevermind****** I see what you mean now!

Last edited:
[tex]=i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{n+1}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=ir^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Moving the constant out.

[tex]=\frac{r^{n+1}}{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}i(n+1)e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Getting ready to integrate, the right way

[tex]=\frac{r^{n+1}}{n+1}\left[e^{i(n+1)\theta}\right]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]

[tex]=\left[e^{i(n+1)2\pi}-e^{0}\right][/tex]

[tex]=0[/tex]

But this whole process only makes sense if [tex]n\neq-1[/tex], so for that case we just plug in -1 for n to:

[tex]i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{0}e^{i(0)\theta}d\theta=2\pi i[/tex]

So,

[tex]\int_{c}z^{n}dz= \left\{\frac{0, n\neq-1}{2\pi i, n=-1}\right[/tex]

What is the integral of z^n on a closed contour?

The integral of z^n on a closed contour is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under the curve of a function raised to the power of n, along a closed path on a complex plane.

How is the integral of z^n on a closed contour calculated?

The integral of z^n on a closed contour is calculated using complex analysis techniques, such as the Cauchy's integral formula or the residue theorem. These methods involve integrating along a closed contour and considering the singularities of the function within the contour.

What is the significance of calculating the integral of z^n on a closed contour?

The integral of z^n on a closed contour has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is used to solve problems involving contour integrals, such as finding the average value of a function or computing the work done by a vector field.

Can the integral of z^n on a closed contour be simplified or approximated?

Yes, in some cases, the integral of z^n on a closed contour can be simplified or approximated using techniques such as the method of residues or the Cauchy's integral formula. These methods help reduce the complexity of the integral and provide a more manageable solution.

Are there any limitations to using the integral of z^n on a closed contour?

Yes, the integral of z^n on a closed contour can only be applied to functions that are analytic within the contour. This means that the function must be continuous and have derivatives of all orders within the contour. Additionally, the contour must be simple and closed, with no self-intersections or infinite points.