Why has nothing evolved to not need sleep?

• Thread starter -RA-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
in summary, an animal that does not need to sleep would be at a huge advantage over all other animals as animals are more vulnerable when asleep, so why are there none that have done that?
Why has nothing evolved to not need sleep?

In case of peole the answer is easy. It is because people who need less sleep do indeed sleep less, as a result have less sex and therefore have less children :rofl:

Biology news on Phys.org
arildno said:
although I would have liked that link to work properly.

I haven't read through the extracts posted yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Read my comments in post #16. Your post suggests you have the same common misconception about evolution that I attempted to clarify already.

There is no misconception on my part. You provide in post #16 that evolution occurs through mutations I presume. That is true. A random mutation could save a species, for example the rudimentary moth near a factory and darkening bark example. However, if the bark didn't darken the mutated moth would die out and there would be no evolution taking place. However, since the moths NEEDED to be darker, those moths survived, spread their mutated genes and we consider them evolved. Thus evolution occurs on a need to basis. That was the only arguable point in my post, as the rest was simple quote from the University of Zurich on the subject.