Multimeter Resistance and Error Compensation

In summary, the sensing resistor inside the DVM can sometimes cause errors in current measurements when used in current mode. This error is typically largest when current is flowing in the opposite direction as the bias current in the circuit.
brad sue
Hi I have this lab about exploring rectifier diode and zener diode.

I have this question I have problem to answer.

"You measured the current through the diode (rectifier diode) and voltage across the diode using the multimeter in the lab.
Use a point in the reverse bias region and the forward bias region, make a reasonable estimate of the resistance of the meter, and compensate the effect of the meter. In what situation would you expect that this meter induced error would be largest
? "

Please can someone help me about this question please?

I don't see how to do it.
Thank you
B

Engineering news on Phys.org
in foreword baising the meter will induce error but does not effect in measurement.

its need some piuture to explain that i don't have it :)

brad sue said:
Hi I have this lab about exploring rectifier diode and zener diode.

I have this question I have problem to answer.

"You measured the current through the diode (rectifier diode) and voltage across the diode using the multimeter in the lab.
Use a point in the reverse bias region and the forward bias region, make a reasonable estimate of the resistance of the meter, and compensate the effect of the meter. In what situation would you expect that this meter induced error would be largest
? "

Please can someone help me about this question please?

I don't see how to do it.
Thank you
B

You are being asked about the sensing resistor inside the DVM in current measurement mode. The DVM measures current by measuring the voltage drop across this sensing resistor as the current flows through it. Typically larger resistors are used for measuring the lower current ranges, and smaller resistors are switched in for measuring the higher current ranges. Depending on the meter and the range, this series resistor can drop a voltage that then causes some error in the overall measurement.

For example, let's say that you are trying to measure the power input to an IC. You put your DVM in current mode on the 100mA scale, and connect it in series between your 5V power supply and your IC. You measure 30mA, but the power input to the chip is not 5V*30mA. Why? What do you need to do (and how many DVMs does it take) to measure the power input to the IC accurately?

Now, in your problem, assume that the DVM only has one current sensing resistor value (otherwise, you are not given enough information to answer the question). Will you get the biggest voltage drop across that sensing resistor when you have forward bias current flowing through it, or reverse bias current flowing through it? What are the typical forward and reverse current values that you measured in your lab?

1. What is resistance in a multimeter?

Resistance in a multimeter refers to the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current through a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is a crucial aspect of electrical measurements.

2. How do I measure resistance with a multimeter?

To measure resistance with a multimeter, you need to set the dial or function selector to the resistance mode (Ω). Then, touch the two test leads to the two points or components in the circuit you want to measure. The multimeter will display the resistance value on its screen.

3. What is the significance of measuring resistance in a circuit?

Measuring resistance in a circuit helps in several ways. It can help diagnose faults in a circuit, determine the health of components, and verify that the circuit is functioning as expected. It also helps in calculating the power dissipation and current flow in a circuit.

4. What are the possible reasons for a multimeter showing a negative resistance value?

A negative resistance value on a multimeter can be due to a faulty measurement, improper test lead placement, or a circuit with negative resistance components like diodes. Double-checking the test leads and retesting the circuit can help determine the actual resistance value.

5. Can a multimeter measure both AC and DC resistance?

Yes, most multimeters are designed to measure both AC and DC resistance. However, it is essential to check the specifications of your multimeter to ensure it has the capability to measure both types of resistance before use.