Light waves vs. mechanical waves

In summary, the main difference between light waves and mechanical waves is that light waves are transverse and can travel in both wave and particle form, while mechanical waves require a medium to travel through. Light also has a whole field named optics, which involves complex concepts such as Fourier optics and geometric optics. While mechanical waves may have more details, the key difference lies in the nature of their propagation.
lah214

Homework Statement

I just have a question; what's the main difference between light waves and mechanical waves? I know that light waves are transverse. I also know that water waves are transverse, but sound waves are longitudinal. I know that light has a dual nature, and travels in both wave and particle form...but is that the only difference?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole. You hit the highlights, but light has a whole field named after it, optics, of which you have hardly touched. Optics can range in difficulty, depending on the application, from some of the most complex Fourier optics to some pretty simple geometric optics. I don't know much about mechanical waves, but I'm sure they have more details as well. Anyway, you hit on the branching points, and from there it is which tree you want to follow.

There is ONE answer to this.

Mechanical waves require a media, do light waves?

There.

good point! thank you so much!

What are light waves and mechanical waves?

Light waves are electromagnetic waves that are created by the movement of electrically charged particles. Mechanical waves, on the other hand, are created by the movement of matter.

How do light waves and mechanical waves differ in their speed of propagation?

Light waves travel at a much faster speed than mechanical waves. Light waves can travel through a vacuum at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, while the speed of sound, a common mechanical wave, is around 343 meters per second in air.

What are some examples of light waves and mechanical waves?

Light waves include visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and radio waves. Mechanical waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves.

How do light waves and mechanical waves behave differently when interacting with matter?

Light waves are able to travel through a vacuum and most transparent materials, while mechanical waves require a medium to propagate. Light waves can also be refracted and diffracted, while mechanical waves can be reflected and absorbed.

What is the role of frequency and wavelength in light waves and mechanical waves?

Frequency and wavelength are two important properties of waves. In light waves, frequency determines the color of the light, while wavelength determines the energy of the light. In mechanical waves, frequency and wavelength are related to the pitch and amplitude of the wave.