Proving S Is Bounded Above: Supremum & Infimum | Asif

• Thread starter asif zaidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the set S, which is the negative of a non-empty subset T of real numbers, is bounded above. The solution involves finding the least upper bound of S by using the lower bound of T and showing that -B is the least upper bound of S. The conversation also touches on the use of sups and infs to find upper and lower bounds.
asif zaidi
I am trying to prove the following. I have a solution below. Can you tell if I am on the right track. P.S. I am doing calculus after 14 yrs so I am very rusty and probably sound stupid

1- Let T be a non-empty subset of R. Assume T is bounded below. Consider the set S = -T = {-t|t is an element of T}. Show that S is bounded above

Solution

a- Let -a= inf(T)
b- -(-a) is also an element of S (because it is a mapping)
c- Let b element of S

And this is where I am getting stuck at.
Intuitively, I know that a > b and it will be the supremum in S but I cannot prove it.

Thanks

Asif

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't bother with sups and infs if you are trying to give a general upper bound for -T.

Take the lower bound of T that is assumed to exist, call it B. We know that B<x for all x inside T. What can you say about -B in relation to -x? Now what is the set -T?

If B is the lower bound in T and B<x in T
then -B>-x in all S (as S=-T which is given).

Is it this simple.
So in S, would B not be the least upper bound?

Thanks Siddharth for help

Asif

B would be supS IF unless of course B=inf(T), in which case -B would be the least upper bound of S (prove it). But above we only assume that B was a lower bound of T not the GREATEST lower bound of T.

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

Supremum and infimum are concepts in mathematical analysis that describe the upper and lower bounds of a set of numbers, respectively. The supremum (or least upper bound) is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set, while the infimum (or greatest lower bound) is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

2. How do you prove that a set is bounded above?

To prove that a set is bounded above, you need to show that there exists a number (the supremum) that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. This can be done by finding the maximum value in the set, or by using a mathematical proof to show that there is no number greater than all the numbers in the set.

3. What is the relationship between supremum and infimum?

The supremum and infimum are two different concepts, but they are closely related. The supremum is always greater than or equal to the infimum, and their difference is known as the "spread" of the set. If the spread is zero, then the supremum and infimum are equal, and the set is said to be bounded.

4. Can a set have multiple supremums or infimums?

No, a set can only have one supremum and one infimum. This is because the supremum is the smallest upper bound and the infimum is the largest lower bound, so there can only be one number that satisfies both criteria.

5. How is the concept of supremum and infimum used in real-world applications?

The concept of supremum and infimum is used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, the concept of "perfect competition" is based on the idea of a supremum, where the price of a good or service is determined by the highest price that consumers are willing to pay. In engineering, the infimum can be used to determine the minimum amount of resources needed to complete a project. In physics, the supremum and infimum are used to calculate the maximum and minimum values of physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and energy.