Average Force Applied by Catcher

In summary, a 0.15 kg baseball with a speed of 36 m/s is caught by a catcher's glove, causing the glove to move back 4.9 cm. The change in momentum of the baseball is 5.4 kg·m/s in the opposite direction of its motion, and the impulse applied to the baseball is also 5.4 kg·m/s in the opposite direction. The average force applied by the catcher's glove can be found by using the distance and speed to calculate the time it took for the catch, which is approximately 0.27 seconds. Using the equation f(deltaT) = mv-mvi, the average force is found to be approximately 0.55 kN in the
Jtappan

Homework Statement

0.15 kg baseball is pitched with a speed of 36 m/s (79.2 mph). When the ball hits the catcher's glove, the glove moves back by 4.9 cm (1.96 in.) as it stops the ball.
(a) What was the change in momentum of the baseball?
5.4 kg·m/s opposite the ball's direction of motion
(b) What impulse was applied to the baseball?
5.4 kg·m/s opposite the ball's direciton of motion
(c) Assuming a constant acceleration of the ball, what was the average force applied by the catcher's glove?
Magnitude _____ kN opposite the ball's direction of motion

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

i got everything except the magnatude of the force applied by the glove... i don't know how to do this when i have to relate distance to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the distance and speed to figure out how much time it took for the catcher to stop the ball.

i keep doing this problem and it does not work out. I don't know what I am doing wrong. for the time i get .13637.

That's quite a bit off. Show how you did the calculation. Also realize that the speed is not constant during the catch--you'll need to use the average speed.

ok i did it again and got .2722222 s for the time. just did xf-xi = .5(vf+vi)t

Don't forget to use distance in meters, not cm.

.002722222 is the time??

giving force as .00001469988?

Jtappan said:
.002722222 is the time??
Good.

giving force as .00001469988?
No. How did you get that?

f(deltaT) = mv-mvi

did i plug it in wrong?

never mind i got it thank you for your help

What is the definition of average force applied by catcher?

The average force applied by catcher refers to the amount of force exerted by a catcher on a moving object in order to stop it. It is the average of all the forces applied over a period of time.

How is the average force applied by catcher calculated?

The average force applied by catcher is calculated by dividing the total force exerted by the catcher on the object by the duration of time over which the force was applied.

What factors can affect the average force applied by catcher?

The average force applied by catcher can be affected by a number of factors such as the mass and velocity of the moving object, the angle and position at which the catcher applies the force, and the surface or material of the object being caught.

Why is the average force applied by catcher important in sports and physical activities?

The average force applied by catcher is important in sports and physical activities because it helps to determine the effectiveness of the catcher in stopping a moving object. It also helps to prevent injuries and ensure proper technique and form in catching.

How can the average force applied by catcher be increased?

The average force applied by catcher can be increased by improving strength and conditioning, using proper technique and positioning, and having good hand-eye coordination and reaction time.