Jacobi Elliptic Functions [Solved]

• Thread starter sourlemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jacobi
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Jacobi elliptic function to express the equation of motion for a pendulum. The function, denoted by sn(k,u), has properties similar to the sine function and can be used to find the inverse of the integral \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{1-k^{2}sin^{2}s}}. The final solution is expressed as \theta = 2 arcsin \left \{k sn\left[k, \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}\left(-t + \frac{P(\alpha)}{4}\right)\right] \right \}.
sourlemon
[Solved] Jacobi Elliptic Equations

Homework Statement

[tex]-t[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P(\alpha)}{4}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{ds}{\sqrt{1-k^{2}sin^{2}s}}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]F(k, [tex]\phi[/tex]).

It is integrated from 0 to [tex]\phi[/tex]

For fixed k, F(k, [tex]\phi[/tex]) has an "inverse," denoted by sn(k, u), that satisfies u = F(k, [tex]\phi[/tex]) if and only if sn(k,u) = sin [tex]\phi[/tex]. The function sin [tex]\phi[/tex] is called a Jacobi elliptic function and has many properties that resemble those of the sine function. Using the Jacobi elliptic function sin [tex]\phi[/tex], express the equation of motion for the pendulum in the form

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 2 arcsin [tex]\left \{[/tex]k sn[tex]\left[[/tex]k, [tex]\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}[/tex][tex]\left([/tex][tex]-t[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P(\alpha)}{4}[/tex])]}

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{P(\alpha)}{4}[/tex]

where k is defined as sin [tex]\alpha[/tex]/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the answer and tried to backtrack it. I see that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] is next to [tex]-t[/tex] + [tex]\frac{P(\alpha)}{4}[/tex], so this means that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] was divided into both sides.

Looking through my integral table, I found that

[tex]\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{a^{2} - u^{2}}}[/tex] = arcsin [tex]\frac{u}{a}[/tex]

I set a = 1 and u = k^{2}sin^{2}s. With that I got arcsin [tex]\frac{ksins}{1}[/tex]. So where did the 2 come from? Was I wrong to set k part of 2? And where did the [tex]\theta[/tex] comes from?

Nevermind, I think I got it now. The 2 and [tex]\theta[/tex] came from some earlier part of the problem which is not posted here. Thank you, whoever stops by :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is \theta = 2 arcsin \left \{k sn\left[k, \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}\left(-t + \frac{P(\alpha)}{4}\right)\right] \right \}.

What are Jacobi Elliptic Equations?

Jacobi Elliptic Equations are a set of nonlinear differential equations that involve the Jacobi elliptic functions. They are used to describe the motion of a particle in an elliptical potential and have applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the Jacobi elliptic functions?

The Jacobi elliptic functions are a family of special functions that are defined by the Jacobi elliptic equations. They are denoted by sn(u), cn(u), and dn(u) and are analogous to the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent.

What is the history behind Jacobi Elliptic Equations?

The equations were first introduced by the mathematician Carl Gustav Jacob Jacobi in the 1820s. He discovered that they could be used to solve the problem of motion in an elliptical potential, which had previously been unsolved by other mathematicians.

What are the applications of Jacobi Elliptic Equations?

Jacobi Elliptic Equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to describe the motion of particles in elliptical potentials, to solve problems in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, and to study the behavior of nonlinear systems.

What are some properties of Jacobi Elliptic Equations?

Some properties of Jacobi Elliptic Equations include periodicity, symmetry, and the ability to transform into other types of equations, such as the sine-Gordon equation. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as elliptic curves and modular forms.