Probability Amplitude phases

In summary, Feynman argued that the phase of probability amplitude is proportional to the "action" in units of quantum of action. This is strong evidence in favor of the theory.
Frankww
Quesion in approaching to Path Integral

I've just read "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integral" book which was written by Feynman, he said the phase of probability amplitude is proportional to "the ACTION [tex] S [/tex] in units of Quantum of action [tex] \hbar [/tex]. What is the reason to be that? Can anybody explain it to me physically? Thank you for all replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There might be a better answer than this, but one way to see it is to plug the wavefunction [itex]e^{iS/\hbar}[/itex] into the Schrodinger equation and get an equation for S. The equation you get (to leading order in an expansion in [itex]\hbar[/itex]) is just the (classical) Hamilton-Jacobi equation, where S plays the role of the classical action. This is very strong evidence in favor of Feynman's arguments.

In the end, I don't think there's an explicit "proof" that you should use the classical action in this way, just like there's no "proof" that the Schrodinger equation is correct - at the end of the day, you just ask if the equations are consistent with experiment (and the other descriptions of QM). And in this case, they are. In particular:

1. You can derive the Schrodinger equation from the path integral formalism.
2. There is a nice classical limit as [itex]\hbar\rightarrow 0[/itex].

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll review them, then.

Read the first few pages of QFT in Nutshell by ZEE

The motivation for introducing path integral formulation of QM is startted as
a doubt that feynmann had regarding the inteference of photon as it goes through a doble slit...
please read further

I cannot describe the hapiness that i fealt after reading those few pages.
I mean after reading it youll feel the basic idea of path integrals is so intuitive
and that anyone could think about that idea if just only he had looked beyond the box

1. What is a probability amplitude phase?

A probability amplitude phase is a complex number that describes the probability of a quantum system transitioning from one state to another.

2. How is a probability amplitude phase calculated?

A probability amplitude phase is calculated by taking the square root of the probability of the system transitioning from one state to another multiplied by the complex number representing the phase angle.

3. What is the significance of probability amplitude phases in quantum mechanics?

Probability amplitude phases play a crucial role in predicting and understanding the behavior of quantum systems. They are used in calculations to determine the likelihood of a system transitioning between states and are essential in quantum algorithms and simulations.

4. Can probability amplitude phases have negative values?

Yes, probability amplitude phases can have negative values. These negative values can result in destructive interference, which can lead to a decrease in the probability of the system transitioning between states.

5. How do probability amplitude phases relate to classical probability?

Probability amplitude phases differ from classical probabilities in that they are complex numbers rather than real numbers. They also take into account the phase angle, which can result in interference effects that are not seen in classical probability calculations.