Thermal conductivity for mountain climber

In summary, the problem involves calculating the rate of heat flow through a 3.28 cm thick goose down jacket with a total surface area of 1.10 m2, given the temperature difference between the surface of the jacket and the skin. Using the thermal conductivity of down, the rate of heat flow is calculated to be 1.52 W. Part 2 of the problem involves determining the rate of heat flow through a wet jacket with a matted down thickness of 0.462 cm, using the thermal conductivity of water. To solve this, the rate of heat flow from part 1 is multiplied by the ratio of water's thermal conductivity to down's thermal conductivity, and the ratio of the thickness of down to the thickness
Vanessa23

Homework Statement

A mountain climber wears a goose down jacket 3.28 cm thick with total surface area 1.10 m2. The temperature at the surface of the clothing is -19.3°C and at the skin is 36.0°C. Determine the rate of heat flow by conduction through the jacket assuming it is dry and the thermal conductivity, k, is that of down.
Part 2:
Determine the rate of heat flow by conduction through the jacket assuming the jacket is wet, so k is that of water and the jacket has matted down to 0.462 cm thickness.

Homework Equations

thermal conductivity of goose down is .025 J/(mKs)
thermal conductivity of water is .561W/(mKs)

phi dot = KA (delta T/delta X)

K is goose down (.025 j/smk)
A is area
T is temperature
x is distance heat flows

Part 2
The rate of heat flow= (the rate of heat flow you found in
part 1) x (k water/ k goose down) x (thickness of goosedown/
thickness of wet jacket)

The Attempt at a Solution

.025*(.0328*1.10)*(36+19.3/.0328)

I get the rate is 1.52 W, yet it is the wrong answer. If I had that answer I could use it to get part 2 where I would do the following
rate=rate1*(.561/.025)*(.0328/.00462)

Please let me know what I am doing wrong! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the distance between the two surfaces in the numerator? Delta_x should be in the bottom.

Last edited:

I would like to clarify that the given information and equations seem to be correct. However, the approach for calculating the rate of heat flow through the jacket may need to be revised.

For part 1, the correct equation to use would be phi dot = (K * A * delta T) / delta X, where K is the thermal conductivity of goose down, A is the surface area of the jacket, delta T is the temperature difference between the outer and inner surfaces of the jacket, and delta X is the thickness of the jacket.

Using the given values, the rate of heat flow would be calculated as follows:

phi dot = (0.025 J/(mKs) * 1.10 m2 * (36.0°C - (-19.3°C))) / 0.0328 m

= 1.45 W

For part 2, the approach is correct, but the calculation for the rate of heat flow in part 1 needs to be used. The equation for part 2 would be:

rate = rate1 * (k water / k goose down) * (thickness of goose down / thickness of wet jacket)

= 1.45 W * (0.561 W/(mKs) / 0.025 J/(mKs)) * (0.0328 m / 0.00462 m)

= 1.45 W * (22.44) * (7.09)

= 226.5 W

Therefore, the rate of heat flow through the wet jacket would be 226.5 W.

I hope this helps clarify the approach and calculations for this problem. It is also important to note that the given values and equations may not account for all variables and assumptions, so the results may vary slightly.

What is thermal conductivity and why is it important for mountain climbers?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to transfer heat. It is important for mountain climbers because it helps them understand how well their gear will keep them warm in cold temperatures.

How does thermal conductivity affect the insulation of clothing for mountain climbers?

A material with high thermal conductivity will transfer heat more quickly, making it less effective as insulation. Mountain climbers should look for materials with low thermal conductivity for better insulation.

What are some common materials with high thermal conductivity that should be avoided for mountain climbing?

Metals, such as aluminum and copper, have high thermal conductivity and should be avoided as clothing materials for mountain climbers. Other materials to avoid include single-layer cotton and nylon.

What types of materials have low thermal conductivity and are recommended for mountain climbing?

Materials with low thermal conductivity include wool, down feathers, fleece, and synthetic fibers like polyester and polypropylene. These materials are great insulators and will help keep mountain climbers warm in cold temperatures.

How can understanding thermal conductivity help mountain climbers make informed gear choices?

By understanding thermal conductivity, mountain climbers can choose gear and clothing materials that will provide better insulation and keep them warm in cold environments. They can also avoid materials with high thermal conductivity that will not be effective in keeping them warm.