Perfect Diamagnetism: Properties Necessary for Ideal State

In summary, there is a common idea that superconductors are better described as perfect diamagnets than perfect conductors. A perfect diamagnet should completely repel any new magnetic field from entering and exhibit the Meissner effect, as well as have zero DC resistance. There is a debate about whether perfect diamagnetism necessarily implies perfect conductivity, but it is widely accepted that perfect diamagnetism means zero magnetic field and the full Meissner effect. It is possible for external magnetic fields to be excluded by other mechanisms without requiring conduction between atoms. The properties of perfect diamagnets may differ from those of superconductors.
cesiumfrog
What properties would an ideal ("perfect") diamagnet necessarilly* have?
(*as in in, implied by definition.)

This is a spin-off from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=198245", based on the common idea that superconductors are better described as perfect diamagnets than perfect conductors. If it began in zero magnetic field, a perfect diamagnet should completely repel any new field from entering. But if the material transitioned (perhaps smoothly with temperature, say) into the perfect diamagnetic state from some other phase which is only weakly magnetic, would it actually exhibit the Meissner effect (completely excluding a pre-applied magnetic field)? And would it be superconducting (I saw a three line argument that it could not have finite resistance, but could it just be an insulator)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I think my explanations were pretty bad in that thread.
The point I was trying to make is that superconductors are best understood as materials that both exhibit perfect diamagnetism and zero dc resistance.
As I wrote in that thread, perfect conductivity (i.e. as found in a "perfect" metal) does not imply perfect diamagnetism. I am not sure if the oppositie is true (if perfect diamagnetism implies perfect conductivity), but then I guess it depends on the orgin of the diamagnetism so I suspect the "general" answer is no.

I should also point out that I was wrong about one think in that thread; liquid oxygen is paramagnetic, not diamagnetic.

*I stumbled upon a discussion about this is in an old textbook; Myers "Introduction to Solid State Physics", actually the book I used when I was an undergraduate. The "derivation" consists of solving Maxwell's equation for electrons with zero scattering (the electrons continue to be accelerated forever by an electric field) and showing that the result is not consistent with the Meissner effect.

f95toli said:
Unfortunately, I think my explanations were pretty bad in that thread.
The point I was trying to make is that superconductors are best understood as materials that both exhibit perfect diamagnetism and zero dc resistance.

yeah, I agree. Here's a quote from Crangle, "The Magnetic Properties of Solids":

"A homogeneous type I superconductor is both a perfect conductor and perfectly diamagnetic."

The first link referenced in that previous thread states "Superconductors are actually perfect diamagnets and not perfect conductors". If perfect diamagnets do exist, what would their properties be (and in what ways could their properties differ from the properties of superconductors, which may or may not have additional defining characteristics)?

Last edited:
A possible problem (having read the wikipedia talk section) is ambiguity of the definition of "perfect diamagnetism", but this seems widely accepted as meaning to admit zero magnetic field and hence synonymous with the full Meissner effect (regardless of field prior to any transition). With comparison to superconductors, this just leaves the question of dc resistance.

Is it possible to completely exclude magnetic fields without also having zero electrical resistance? If the fields are excluded by the creation of opposing electrical currents, then the persistence of those currents has been argued (sorry, lost the link) to prove zero resistance. But would it be impossible for the external fields to be excluded by some other mechanism (say, by magnetic moments of individual atoms) without requiring conduction between atoms?

Last edited:
cesiumfrog said:
The first link referenced in that previous thread states "Superconductors are actually perfect diamagnets and not perfect conductors". If perfect diamagnets do exist, what would their properties be (and in what ways could their properties differ from the properties of superconductors, which may or may not have additional defining characteristics)?

I wasn't a part of the "previous thread", but I think I know what they mean. Probably the person
who posted was pointing out that being a perfect conductor (and defining a perfect conductor as that which alwasy has E=0 in the bulk) implies a constant magnetic field in the bulk, but being a perfect diamagnet implies not only that the field is constant but also that it is equal to zero.

A perfect diamagnet will have B=0 in the bulk always. At least, that is the defintion I use for a "perfect diamagnet". So, a perfect diamagnet will always have a constant *electric* field in the bulk. If the perfect diamagnet is also a perfect conductor that constant will happen to be zero. (this is the converse of what was stated in the upper paragraph).

What is perfect diamagnetism?

Perfect diamagnetism refers to the complete absence of magnetic susceptibility in a material, meaning that it does not exhibit any magnetic properties when placed in an external magnetic field.

What are the necessary properties for a material to exhibit perfect diamagnetism?

The most important property for perfect diamagnetism is a completely filled valence electron shell, as this results in no net magnetic moment in the material. Other necessary properties include a high electrical conductivity and a lack of magnetic impurities.

How does perfect diamagnetism differ from paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

Unlike perfect diamagnetism, paramagnetism and ferromagnetism both involve materials with unpaired electrons, resulting in a net magnetic moment and magnetization in the presence of an external magnetic field. In paramagnetism, the net magnetic moment aligns with the external field, while in ferromagnetism, the material becomes permanently magnetized.

Can all materials exhibit perfect diamagnetism?

No, not all materials can exhibit perfect diamagnetism. In fact, most materials exhibit some degree of paramagnetism or ferromagnetism due to the presence of unpaired electrons or magnetic impurities. Only a few materials, such as superconductors, can exhibit perfect diamagnetism.

What are the practical applications of perfect diamagnetism?

Perfect diamagnetism is currently being studied for potential applications in magnetic levitation, where superconducting materials can be used to create strong repulsive forces and allow objects to float in mid-air. It also has potential applications in magnetic shielding and in the development of more efficient electric motors and generators.