How Many Fission Reactions in a Year

In summary, the total number of fission reactions that would occur in 1 year of running a nuclear reactor with an average power of 778 MW is equal to the total energy output of the reactor divided by the energy released in a single fission reaction, which is 183.9 MeV. This information is needed to calculate the amount of U-235 needed to run the reactor for 1 year and the total change in mass for 1 year of running.
Ryo124

Homework Statement

a - How many fission reactions would occur in 1 year of running of a nuclear reactor if the average power of the reactor is 778 MW?

b - How many kilograms of U-235 would be needed to run the reactor for 1 year?

c - What is the total change in mass for 1 year of running?

I've found that 183.9 MeV are released from one fission reaction.

Homework Equations

1 megawatt = 10^6 J/s (1,000,000 J/s)
1 eV = 1.602 ×10^−19 J
1 year = 31,556,926 sec
I don't know any others.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 778 MW = 778,000,000 J/s. I do not know where to go from there.
I'm not even sure if 183.9 MeV will be used in the answer to a, but I know the answer to a is required for b and b for c.

I've tried multiplying 778,000,000 J/s by 31,556,926 sec to get just Joules.
I've also tried dividing 778,000,000 J/s by 31,556,962 (don't know why - probably just out of desperation).
From here I've done a multitude of things (such as dividing this answer by 1.602E-13 J) but nothing I've done is working. Someone please help, I've been at this one since 12:30 (now 4:30) and it's really getting me frustrated.

- edit: 6:30pm - still working on this one, tried tons of Google searches to no avail, also posted on some other forums (although I don't know why -this one is the best :redface:)
Still can't get answer, someone please explain/help/respond!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want a total output of power over a year. You know the total time period, and the rate at which the reactor outputs energy. You then use the amount of energy released in each reaction.
(If you need a further hint, think about the dimensions: energy/time, time, energy/reaction. If they were simply fractions how would you find the term reaction knowing energy/time, time and energy/reaction? )

Multiplying power by time to get joules is the right first step. Then you divide that by the energy of a single fission reaction. Convert 183.9MeV to Joules. It's 183.9 times your 1.602*10^(-13) J.

Thanks guys, sorry I had to PM ya, but I thought with such a nicely written question (in my opinion) I would get a quicker response (guess it was still pretty quick).

I knew I had to divide "A" by "A" to get a number, so that is what I was working towards, it makes much more sense now.
(energy/time x time = energy; then energy divided by reaction, which is 183.9 MeV)

As for the other parts, the answers were clear once i had part "a". Thank you :smile:

Last edited:

1. How many fission reactions occur in a year?

The exact number of fission reactions in a year can vary depending on several factors such as the number of nuclear power plants in operation and their efficiency. However, on average, it is estimated that about 1,000 trillion fission reactions occur in a year.

2. What is the source of fission reactions?

Fission reactions are a result of the splitting of heavy atoms, such as uranium or plutonium, into smaller atoms. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is harnessed in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.

3. Can fission reactions occur naturally?

Yes, fission reactions can occur naturally in radioactive elements found in the Earth's crust. However, these reactions are usually very slow and do not release a significant amount of energy.

4. How many fission reactions are needed to sustain a nuclear chain reaction?

To sustain a nuclear chain reaction, at least one neutron from each fission reaction must cause another fission reaction. This means that an average of 2 to 3 fission reactions are needed to sustain the chain reaction.

5. Are fission reactions safe?

Fission reactions can be dangerous if not properly controlled. In nuclear power plants, strict safety measures are in place to prevent accidents and ensure the safe handling of radioactive materials. However, if not properly managed, fission reactions can lead to nuclear disasters, such as the Chernobyl and Fukushima incidents.