Understanding Ampere's Law, Gauss's Law, and the Continuity Equation

In summary, the Ampere's Law states that the curl of the magnetic field is equal to the permeability times the current density, while Gauss's Law states that the divergence of the electric field is equal to the inverse of the permittivity times the charge density. The continuity equation in electrodynamics states that a current must be caused by a change in the overall charge density of the system. In general, the current density is equal to the product of the charge density and the velocity. This means that a nonzero current implies a nonzero charge density, but not necessarily the other way around.
touqra
The Ampere's Law is [tex] \nabla \times B = \mu J [/tex] and Gauss's Law is [tex] \nabla \cdot E = \frac{1}{\epsilon} \rho [/tex]

Since J is current density, is it right to say that, [tex] J = \frac{d}{dt} \rho [/tex] in general?
I am abit confused, since I know that a current four-vector, [tex] (\rho , J) [/tex] is similar to a spacetime four-vector [tex] (t, x) [/tex]. But, x is not [tex] \frac{d}{dt} t [/tex]

Also, does a non-zero J automatically implies a non-zero [tex] \rho [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you are looking for is the continuity equation in electrodynamics:

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{J} = -\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t}[/tex]

In words, it states that a current must be caused by a change in the overall charge density of the system. So, a current implies a changing charge density.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in, but could you put that continuity equation into words a bit further? What does each symbol rerpesent? I just finished my associate degree and I'm taking at least one semester off, but I want to keep increasing my general knowledge while I'm not attending formal classes.

Thanks.

In words the continuity equation means that positive divergence of current results in a negative rate of charge density, or (in integral form) the outward flux of current over a closed surface results in a reduction of charge contained within the surface.
As the OP says, conceptually current is movement of charge, so the continuity equation is fairly intuitive.

touqra said:
Since J is current density, is it right to say that, [tex] J = \frac{d}{dt} \rho [/tex] in general?
I am abit confused, since I know that a current four-vector, [tex] (\rho , J) [/tex] is similar to a spacetime four-vector [tex] (t, x) [/tex]. But, x is not [tex] \frac{d}{dt} t [/tex]

Also, does a non-zero J automatically implies a non-zero [tex] \rho [/tex] ?

In general:

[tex]\vec{J}=\rho\vec{v}[/tex]

You can think of this as the "solution to the continuity equation" mentioned earlier. It also might explain your confusion about the current 4-vector.

So a nonzero current certainly implies nonzero charge density (how can you have a current without a charge?) but not vice versa (since a charge distribution at rest has no current).

LURCH said:
Sorry to butt in, but could you put that continuity equation into words a bit further? What does each symbol rerpesent? I just finished my associate degree and I'm taking at least one semester off, but I want to keep increasing my general knowledge while I'm not attending formal classes.

Thanks.

The continuity equation basically says that if you have some amount of current leaving some point, then the charge at that point must be decreasing. This makes sense since current is defined basically as movement of charge. If we have current leaving some point, then we have charge moving away from that point. If there is charge moving away from a point, then the charge at that point must be decreasing. The continuity equation is, in the end, another way to state conservation of charge.

1. What is Ampere's Law and how does it relate to electricity and magnetism?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric current flowing through a closed loop to the magnetic field created by that current. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the current passing through the loop. This law is important because it helps us understand the relationship between electricity and magnetism and is used to calculate the magnetic field in various situations.

2. How is Ampere's Law different from Gauss's Law?

Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law are two different laws that are both fundamental in electromagnetism. While Ampere's Law relates the magnetic field created by an electric current, Gauss's Law relates the electric field created by an electric charge. Ampere's Law is based on the concept of a closed loop, while Gauss's Law is based on the concept of a closed surface. They both have different mathematical equations and applications, but together they provide a complete understanding of electromagnetic phenomena.

3. What is the significance of the constant of proportionality in Ampere's Law?

The constant of proportionality in Ampere's Law is known as the permeability of free space, denoted by the symbol μ0. This constant has a value of 4π x 10^-7 N/A^2 and is important because it relates the magnetic field to the electric current. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and helps us understand the strength of the magnetic field produced by an electric current.

4. How are Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law used in practical applications?

Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law are used in a wide range of practical applications, including electrical engineering, physics, and technology. Ampere's Law is used to design and analyze electromagnets, motors, and generators. Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field in various situations, such as in capacitors and between charged particles. These laws also help us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in communication technologies like radio, television, and cell phones.

5. Can Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law be applied to all situations involving electricity and magnetism?

No, Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law have certain limitations and cannot be applied to all situations. They both assume that the electric and magnetic fields are static and do not change over time. They also assume that the materials involved are linear and do not have any magnetic or electric properties. In situations where these assumptions do not hold, more complex equations and laws must be used to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena.