Explaining Particle Collision Picture to a Non-Physics Person

• Thread starter JanKo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a picture of particle collision found by the speaker and their attempts to explain it to someone with little knowledge of physics. They mention the use of liquid hydrogen and the Lorentz force, and also ask about the number of particles involved in the collision. They clarify that it is not atoms but rather charged particles that are being collided, and suggest that the picture may represent one event with background and particle showers.
JanKo
Hello!

I recently found a picture (Here's the link:http://doc.cern.ch//archive/electronic/cern/others/PHO/photo-ex/66954B.jpeg" ) that is just a beautiful example of particle collision.
Now I get the general idea of what this picture is representing, but what exactly is happening here?
I mean, how would you explain this picture to a person who knows very little about physics?
Because I tried to explain it to my mother (because she loves the shapes :rolleyes:) and figured out that I actually have very little idea what's going on.

I know they use liquid hydrogen to create these bubbles around the paths of particles but that's about it.

So, please explain this to a person who knows little about particle physics... I guess that's me. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is just the Lorentz force, you don't have to be expert on particle physics, just know a fundamental law from electromagnetism ;)

Charged particles in motion bends in circular paths when subjected to magnetic fields, where the radius of the trajectory is proportional to the momentum (mass and velocity) of the charged particle. Also the direction of the bending reflects the charge of the particle, a positive charged particle bends the opposite way as a negative charged.

Thanks malawi_glenn for the pat on the back :biggrin:

One more question!
Does this happen by just smashing two atoms? Or did they collide more than two in this picture?
Because it looks to me as if there were a lot more than two atoms smashed...

JanKo said:
Thanks malawi_glenn for the pat on the back :biggrin:

One more question!
Does this happen by just smashing two atoms? Or did they collide more than two in this picture?
Because it looks to me as if there were a lot more than two atoms smashed...

first of all, it is not atoms that they collide, in this picture it is probably electron - positron, or proton - proton collision.

And I think this picture can resemble one event, with background, showers (annihilation - creation) etc :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_shower

1. What is a particle collision in physics?

A particle collision is when two or more particles, such as atoms or subatomic particles, come into contact with each other and interact or exchange energy. This can happen in a variety of situations, including in particle accelerators or during natural processes like radioactive decay.

2. How do scientists study particle collisions?

Scientists study particle collisions by using large, complex machines called particle accelerators. These accelerators use electric and magnetic fields to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds and then collide them with other particles or targets. The resulting collisions are then observed and analyzed to understand the fundamental properties of matter.

3. Why is understanding particle collisions important?

Understanding particle collisions is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in technology and medical treatments, such as in the development of new materials or cancer therapies.

4. How does the particle collision picture help in explaining complex phenomena?

The particle collision picture is a visual representation of the interactions between particles during a collision. It helps in explaining complex phenomena by simplifying the interactions into individual particles and showing how they interact with each other. This can make it easier for non-physics people to understand and visualize these complex processes.

5. Can particle collisions have any negative effects?

Particle collisions themselves do not have any negative effects. However, the high energy and radiation involved in some collisions can have safety concerns for those working with or near particle accelerators. Additionally, the information gained from studying particle collisions can have both positive and negative implications, such as in the development of new technologies or weapons.