Misconceptions in Calculating Power Dissipation in Electrical Circuits

In summary, a 100 kW generator supplies power at 10 kV and 10 A through cables with a total resistance of 5 Ohms. The power dissipated in the cables is correctly calculated using the formula P = I*I*R, as the generator is limiting the current flow. Using the formula P = V*V/R, which ignores the limiting factor of the generator, will result in a significantly larger and incorrect answer.
Gunman

Homework Statement

A 100 kW generator supplies power at a p.d of 10kV through cables of total resistance 5 Ohms. Calculate the supply current and the power dissipated in the cables.

Homework Equations

P = IV
V=IR
Q=It

The Attempt at a Solution

Supply current:
P=IV
100 kW = (I)(10kV)
I=10A
Supply current 10 A.

But I get different answers when I try to find the power dissipated in the cable.
By using this formulae , P = (V*V)/R I get a huge number which is wrong because it is more than the power generated but when I use P = ( I * I ) / R , I get the correct answer.

Think I have a misconception about this [ P = (V*V)/R ] . Can someone tell me where I am wrong? and why so? Thanks in advance. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The power equation is P = I*I*R (sub in ohm's law into the power equation)

Yah I think he typo'd there. What he's missing is that power generator is FORCING a certain power output, and thus FORCING a certain current through that potential difference, which you found correctly

However if that power generator wasn't limiting you, you would have 10kV across 5 ohms, which corresponds to a current flowing of 2000amps, which when put into P=IV, doing 2000*10kV gives you the incorrect huge answer you got

by using P=V^2/R you're finding the power dissipated in 5ohm wires with a potential difference of 10kV, ignoring the fact that you're limited to 100kW from the power generator. By finding the actual current through the wires, you incorporate that

Ohh.Thanks blochwave! Understood why I was wrong. =)

1. What is the difference between current, voltage, and power?

Current, voltage, and power are three important electrical quantities that are often used interchangeably. However, they have distinct meanings and units. Current is the flow of electric charge, measured in amps (A). Voltage is the electrical potential difference between two points, measured in volts (V). Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used, measured in watts (W).

2. How are current, voltage, and power related to each other?

Current, voltage, and power are related through Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. This relationship is expressed as I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance. Power is then calculated as P = VI.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical current. AC current is the flow of electricity that periodically reverses direction, while DC current flows in only one direction. AC is commonly used for power distribution, while DC is used for smaller, more specialized applications such as batteries and electronic devices.

4. How does the resistance of a material affect current, voltage, and power?

The resistance of a material is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through it. A material with a high resistance will require a higher voltage to produce the same amount of current as a material with a low resistance. This means that a higher resistance material will have lower current and power, as calculated by Ohm's Law.

5. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power and energy are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used, while energy is the amount of work that can be done by a force. In other words, power is the rate of energy consumption or production, and energy is the total amount consumed or produced over a period of time.