Can Games Stimulate the Brain Like Mathematics?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing ways to stimulate the brain in the same areas as mathematics. The person is looking for games, programs, or other activities that can provide a break from the monotony of pure math. One suggestion is the Math Calendar, which provides a daily math puzzle, and another suggestion is to always have 10 interesting mathematical problems in mind, as suggested by Feynman.
Daniel Y.
Hey guys, I didn't know exactly where to stick this thread, but here seemed like a good place since it pertains to math the most.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any games that stimulate the same areas of the brain as mathematics, sort of another way to work that area and take the pure maths monotony away that I seem to get so much of every day (please, no Sudoku links, I already know that game well, :)).

I know that doing math is obviously the best way to stimulate the brain in that(/those?) area(s?), but a little something different every once in awhile can't be a bad thing!

Any games (or programs or whatever) are much appreciated. Cheers!

PS, don't be afraid to share your logic games, too.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I really enjoy the Math Calendar put out by these folks:

http://www.mathproductsplus.com/

Each day of the year has a math puzzle -- the answer is the day of the month itself, but some of the problems are hard! Nice variety of problems from different math subject areas too.

Ha! The one nerdy thing I haven't ordered yet. On its way. :)

Feynman had a nice method of always keeping 10 interesting mathematical problems in your mind. They don't have to be unproved theorems, just little things that are hard for you at the moment. If you always have them in the back of your head, when you happen to run into something that helps, you'll know straight away you are making some progress on a problem!

1. What is "Stimulating Your Math-head"?

"Stimulating Your Math-head" is a term used to describe different activities or methods that can improve an individual's mathematical skills and thinking abilities.

2. Why is it important to stimulate your math-head?

Stimulating your math-head can help improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and overall cognitive development. It can also lead to better performance in math-related subjects and careers.

3. What are some ways to stimulate your math-head?

Some ways to stimulate your math-head include practicing regularly, playing math games or puzzles, finding real-life applications of math, and seeking out challenging math problems.

4. Can anyone stimulate their math-head, or is it only for "math geniuses"?

Anyone can stimulate their math-head regardless of their current math abilities. It's all about finding the right activities and methods that work for you and practicing consistently.

5. What are the long-term benefits of stimulating your math-head?

In addition to improving mathematical skills, stimulating your math-head can also enhance critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities, which are valuable skills in many areas of life and in various career paths.