Chemistry pre-course guidance?

In summary, the lecturer covers introductory chemistry topics in two lectures. In the last two lectures, he spends time discussing more advanced material. He recommends spending the last six hours of the course covering gas laws, equilibrium, and calorimetry.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I have been teaching this university chemistry pre-course that is meant to review all of the pre-req stuff needed for uchem 1 and the course is supposed to touch on some of the stuff the students will see in uchem 1. The course is 4 lectures, 3 hours/lecture. The last two lectures I covered really basic stuff. On the first lecture I covered all of the sig fig rules, scientific notation, SI system, unit conversions, and dimensional analysis. On the second lecture I discussed some of the experimental evidence that gives us a picture of the atomic structure (Thomson experiment, Rutherford experiment, etc), the definition of a mole, the definition of the amu and the standards used to define both quantities, and then I did a ton of stoichiometry problems and had them pair up in groups to work some on their own. I covered mass-mole, mass-molecule, and molecule-mole conversions, chemical equation balancing, stoichiometric calculations given a chemical reaction, limiting reagents, percent yield, and mass percent calculations. I also talked about the rules for naming binary ionic, binary covalent, and polyatomic atoms.

My question is, how do you recommend I spend the last 6 hours of lecture time in this course? Tomorrow I was planning on covering the bohr model and the qualtization of energy levels, and then I was going to discuss atomic/quantum orbital mechanics and how the orbitals fill. Then I figure I will talk about lewis structures, molecular orbital theory (orbital hybridization, sigma and pi bonds, etc), and maybe get into VSEPR theory if time permits. I will also go into more detail on non-covalent vs. polar-covalent vs. ionic bonding.

Friday I plan on covering the gas laws, solution equilibrium, the equilibrium constant, le chatlier's principle, calorimetry (hess law, heat capacity, etc), etc.

Do you think this is a good plan? Are there some things missing that I should consider adding in?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_UG said:
My question is, how do you recommend I spend the last 6 hours of lecture time in this course? Tomorrow I was planning on covering the bohr model and the qualtization of energy levels, and then I was going to discuss atomic/quantum orbital mechanics and how the orbitals fill. Then I figure I will talk about lewis structures, molecular orbital theory (orbital hybridization, sigma and pi bonds, etc), and maybe get into VSEPR theory if time permits.
You hit my opinion right on the nose! I know a lot of people who struggle with part of Chemistry, it would definitely benefit someone going into U-Chem. Especially hybridization.

Well, the course is over. It went decent, but I think everything I explained came out garbled. lol. MY explanations seemed clear to me in my head when I explained the concepts to myself before giving the lectures, but when I got in front of the group and began speaking everything came out garbled...especially the quantum/orbital mechanics...I was getting lots of blank stares there.

All in all, I was rather disappointed in my performance. I guess it is a lesson learned, and it was good experience for me nonetheless.

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of the properties, composition, and behavior of matter and the changes it undergoes. It is often called the "central science" because it bridges other natural sciences like physics, biology, and geology.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us and allows us to create new materials and substances that have practical applications in medicine, technology, and other fields. It also helps us to understand and solve various environmental and health-related issues.

3. What topics will be covered in a chemistry pre-course?

A chemistry pre-course will cover fundamental concepts such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, gas laws, solutions, acids and bases, and basic laboratory techniques. It may also introduce students to calculations and problem-solving skills needed for success in a chemistry course.

4. What skills are required for success in chemistry?

To be successful in chemistry, one needs to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and science concepts. Good study habits, time management, and the ability to work well in a laboratory setting are also important for success in chemistry.

5. How can I prepare for a chemistry pre-course?

To prepare for a chemistry pre-course, you can review basic math and science concepts, such as algebra, stoichiometry, and the periodic table. You can also familiarize yourself with laboratory safety and techniques. Additionally, you can find online resources or textbooks to practice problems and gain a better understanding of the topics that will be covered in the pre-course.