Anyone know how to draw SO2 in marvinsketch with octet on all atoms?

• Thread starter RLB31384
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, to draw SO2 in Marvinsketch, open the program and select the "Draw" option. Then, use the tools provided to draw the sulfur atom in the center, with two oxygen atoms bonded to it on either side. Marvinsketch also has a feature to show the octet on all atoms in a molecule. The steps for drawing SO2 with octet on all atoms in Marvinsketch are as follows: 1. Open the program and select the "Draw" option.2. Use the tools provided to draw the sulfur atom in the center.3. Bond two oxygen atoms to the sulfur atom on either side.4. Click on the "Display" option and select "Show Octet
RLB31384
I draw the formula without octet on sulfur and it says to draw it with octet on all atoms...I don't know what to do with the 2 electrons on sulfur or how to do it...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with 6 electrons on sulfur (and oxygen). The answer is not straightforward, so expect to puzzle over it a bit...

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Drawing molecular structures with octet on all atoms can be a bit tricky, but I can provide some guidance. In order to draw SO2 with octet on all atoms in Marvinsketch, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Start by drawing the sulfur atom in the center of the molecule. Make sure to include the two valence electrons on the sulfur atom.

2. Next, draw the two oxygen atoms on either side of the sulfur atom. Each oxygen atom should have two lone pairs of electrons and two bonding pairs.

3. Now, you will need to move the two lone pairs from each oxygen atom to form a double bond with the sulfur atom. This will give the sulfur atom an octet of electrons.

4. Finally, you can add the remaining two electrons on the sulfur atom as lone pairs to complete the octet.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Best of luck with your drawing!

1. How do I draw SO2 in Marvinsketch?

To draw SO2 in Marvinsketch, open the program and select the "Draw" option. Then, use the tools provided to draw the sulfur atom in the center, with two oxygen atoms bonded to it on either side.

2. Can Marvinsketch show the octet on all atoms in SO2?

Yes, Marvinsketch has a feature that allows you to show the octet on all atoms in a molecule. Simply click on the "Display" option and select "Show Octet".

3. What are the steps for drawing SO2 with octet on all atoms in Marvinsketch?

The steps for drawing SO2 with octet on all atoms in Marvinsketch are as follows: 1. Open the program and select the "Draw" option.2. Use the tools provided to draw the sulfur atom in the center.3. Bond two oxygen atoms to the sulfur atom on either side.4. Click on the "Display" option and select "Show Octet".

4. Is Marvinsketch a reliable program for drawing chemical structures?

Yes, Marvinsketch is a widely used and trusted program for drawing chemical structures. It is commonly used by scientists and researchers in the field of chemistry.

5. Are there any alternatives to Marvinsketch for drawing SO2 with octet on all atoms?

Yes, there are other programs available that can also draw SO2 with octet on all atoms, such as ChemDraw and ChemSketch. However, Marvinsketch is a popular choice due to its user-friendly interface and features.