9v Batteries Powering Multiple Items

In summary, the system seems to work fine when new batteries are used, but after a set of batteries is replaced the candles begin to fade rapidly and drain power quickly.
alimagator
I'll start with the typical "I'm new to this and don't know much about DC wiring and power." I'm trying to wire 10 flickering candles that each run on a single 9v battery into a fake cake and do so in a manner that will make pulling the batteries out quick and easy without having to remove each individually, and have it all part of a system that can be turned on and off via a switch. From what I was reading I figured I'd be able to create a container that I could insert 10 9v batteries into and have that wire into each candle through a parallel wiring scheme to increase the power output while keeping the voltage the same. This unit only needs to power the candles for about 15 minutes at a time, and a new 9v will power a single candle for about 80-90 minutes from our tests. Once I had completed this project everything seemed to work fine for the 3-4 we ran it using the same set of batteries but then I started running into problems after the initial set was replaced. The candles arent staying lit very long and seem to be draining power very quickly causing the candles to fade rapidly and be out completely out in a matter of minutes. The voltage seems to be dropping rapidly when I meter run a meter through it, and this is happening with entirely new sets of batteries. Anybody have any explanations or suggestions as to what may be happening here and how to fix it? I wouldn't be that surprised if this just didnt work from the start, but I am baffled by how it worked fine until we started changing the batteries.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So a single battery will power a single candle for 90 minutes, but ten batteries only power ten candles for 3-4?

Perhaps you could draw out how you've wired the system up?

If you are wiring batteries in parallel, internal resistance of one (bad/used) will sink power from the others.

Other than the 'single switch' aspect, I suspect that you might be farther ahead to just buy the 'button battery' artificial candles. My wife sells them for a couple of dollars each at her 'cheap' store, and they're good for more than 12 hours. There's just a simple twist cap on the bottom to turn them on and off.

What is the maximum number of items that can be powered by a single 9v battery?

The maximum number of items that can be powered by a single 9v battery depends on the power consumption of each individual item. It is important to check the power requirements of each item and calculate the total power consumption to determine if a single 9v battery is sufficient.

Can I mix different types of devices when powering them with a 9v battery?

Yes, you can mix different types of devices when powering them with a 9v battery as long as the total power consumption does not exceed the maximum output of the battery. It is important to check the power requirements of each device before connecting them to the battery.

What happens if I connect too many devices to a single 9v battery?

If you connect too many devices to a single 9v battery, it may not be able to provide enough power for all the devices and the battery may drain quickly. This can also damage the battery and the devices. It is important to carefully consider the power requirements of each device before connecting them to the battery.

Can I use a 9v battery to power high-powered devices?

No, 9v batteries are not suitable for powering high-powered devices as they have a relatively low voltage and capacity. It is important to use the appropriate battery for high-powered devices to ensure proper functioning.

How can I extend the battery life when powering multiple items with a 9v battery?

To extend the battery life when powering multiple items with a 9v battery, you can use energy-efficient devices and avoid leaving them connected to the battery when not in use. You can also use a battery pack or multiple 9v batteries connected in parallel to increase the total capacity and prolong the battery life.