Please check if I did it right?

• Thread starter yaho8888
  • Start date
In summary, a skier starting from rest at the top of a 26 degree slope, with no friction, will take approximately 12.3 seconds to reach the bottom of the 1.3km slope. This can be calculated using the equation s(t) = s_0 + v_0t +\frac{1}{2}at^2 and solving for t, assuming the angle of the slope is 24 degrees.
yaho8888

Homework Statement

A skier starts from rest at the top of a 26 degree slope 1.3Km long.
how long does it take to reach the bottom? (no friction)

The attempt at a solution
m=mass
m*g*sin(24) = ma(at slope direction)
divide both side by m
we got
g*sin(24)=a

then use
v^2(final) = V^2(initial)+2(9.8m/s^2)(sin(24))(1300m)
V^2(final) = 0+2(9.8m/s^2)(sin(24))(1300m) we know that initial v is zero.
we get V from the equation above.
then use
v= v(initial)+at
v=0+(9.8m/s^2)sin(24)t
t=V/9.8sin(24).
done!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it would be okay, but why not just use

[tex]s(t) = s_0 + v_0t +\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

and solve for t?

Did you mean a 24 degree slope, or are you putting in the wrong angle?

Your attempt at solving the problem seems correct. You correctly identified the forces acting on the skier (gravity and normal force) and used Newton's second law to solve for the acceleration. You then used the kinematic equations to solve for the final velocity and then the time it takes to reach the bottom of the slope. However, it would be helpful to include units in your calculations and to clearly state your final answer in the correct units (seconds). Also, make sure to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Overall, good job on solving the problem!

1. How do I know if I did it correctly?

It is important to carefully review the instructions and guidelines given to you to ensure that you have followed them correctly. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your work and provide feedback.

2. Is there a specific format or structure that I should follow?

Yes, it is important to follow a specific format or structure when completing a task or experiment in order to ensure accuracy and consistency. Make sure to read and understand the guidelines provided before beginning your work.

3. What should I do if I am unsure about a certain step?

If you are unsure about a certain step, it is always best to ask for clarification or assistance. This can be from a colleague, mentor, or even doing some additional research to fully understand the task at hand.

4. Should I double-check my work before submitting it?

Yes, it is always a good idea to double-check your work before submitting it. This can help catch any mistakes or errors that may have been missed initially and ensure that your work is accurate.

5. What should I do if I realize I made a mistake?

If you realize that you made a mistake, it is important to address it as soon as possible. Depending on the situation, you may need to redo the task or experiment, or you may be able to correct the mistake and continue on with your work.