Direction of Current in Induced Loop | Magnetic Field | Right Hand Rule

In summary, using the right hand rule, the current needs to go clockwise in order to generate a field that points into the page.
Heat
[SOLVED] Direction of Current

Homework Statement

I am having problems identifying in which way the induced current for a loop will be.

Code:
A loop is placed in a magnetic field as shown in the figure. 
If the magnitude of the field is decreased, the induced current
 in the loop will be.

[PLAIN]http://capa.fiu.edu/CAPA/brfigs/BRing.jpg[/CENTER][/URL]

with the following options:

Code:
A) out of the page.
B) clockwise.
C) into the page.
D) counter clockwise.

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried using the right hand rule. I have learned that the x's represent that the current is flowing into the wire, away from me. So I placing my thumb facing away from me, and my finger curl, and it seems to be going out of the page. Also, how do I know if I should turn counterclockwise or clockwise?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat said:
Well I tried using the right hand rule. I have learned that the x's represent that the current is flowing into the wire, away from me.
The x's represent the direction of the magnetic field, which is into the page.
So I placing my thumb facing away from me, and my finger curl, and it seems to be going out of the page. Also, how do I know if I should turn counterclockwise or clockwise?
To use the right hand rule like I do, just make a fist with your thumb pointing up. Like you're making a "thumb's up" gesture.

Here's a picture (look at the right-most hand diagram in the middle): http://www.physics.brocku.ca/faculty/sternin/120/slides/rh-rule.html"

But first you must understand Faraday's law and http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/farlaw.html#c2". The induced current always goes in a direction that opposes any change to the flux through the loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
so it is going out of the page.

I tried the right hand rule, pointing into the "page", made the counter clockwise turn and it would be into the page, and since the induced current goes against the magnetic field.

Heat said:
so it is going out of the page.
The current flows in the loop. It's either clockwise or counterclockwise.

I tried the right hand rule, pointing into the "page", made the counter clockwise turn and it would be into the page, and since the induced current goes against the magnetic field.
In what direction is the flux changing? What current is needed to oppose that change?

I think I know what you are trying to say. We need the current to go into the page, and using the right hand rule that would be going clockwise. We need a current going outwards to oppose the inward force.

Heat said:
I think I know what you are trying to say. We need the current to go into the page, and using the right hand rule that would be going clockwise. We need a current going outwards to oppose the inward force.
No.

In this problem, the field points into the page and is decreasing. Therefore the induced current will act in such a way as to increase the field into the page. Which direction of current will produce a field that points into the page?

it will point in the direction of the field to keep it constant., the diagram in hyperphysics also shows an arrow pointing down, which must mean, clockwise.

Heat said:
it will point in the direction of the field to keep it constant., the diagram in hyperphysics also shows an arrow pointing down, which must mean, clockwise.
Careful with how you describe things. The current does not point in the direction of the field. You need a current that creates a field pointing into the page. Using the right hand rule, a clockwise current is needed to generate such a field.

oh, I thought the current was the one points, we were trying to find a current that created a field pointing inwards. Thank you for your help and patience.

What is the direction of current?

The direction of current refers to the direction in which electric charges flow in a circuit. It is typically described as flowing from positive to negative, although in reality, the flow of electrons is in the opposite direction.

How is the direction of current determined?

The direction of current is determined by the direction in which the positive charge would flow, if it were present. This convention was established by Benjamin Franklin and has been used ever since.

What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

AC (alternating current) flows in one direction and then reverses its direction periodically, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. AC is used for long-distance transmissions, while DC is used for powering smaller devices.

Can the direction of current be changed?

Yes, the direction of current can be changed by reversing the polarity of the power source or by using devices called inverters, which convert DC to AC or vice versa.

Why is it important to know the direction of current?

Knowing the direction of current is important for understanding how electricity flows in a circuit and for troubleshooting any issues that may arise. It also helps in designing and building circuits for specific purposes.