Photo Contest - Green Acres (3/8-3/14)

In summary, the pictures in this week's contest reflect the theme of " nostalgia ". Green Acres is the place for the photographer, farm living is the life, and the countryside is where the photographer would rather be. New York is not the place for the photographer, and they get allergic to hay. They would rather stay in a penthouse in Manhattan with a view of the city. They love a woman who is white-y-fronts, and they think John Deere is cool.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Green Acres

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

This week, you are free to interpret the topic anyway you like. However, the picture must be self-evident that it matches or reflects the theme. Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
2318664010_b718e889cc_o.jpg

Here's my garden from last summer. Right now, it's buried under several feet of snow, and I'm anxiously awaiting spring so I can get busy fertilizing, tilling, and planting.

greenacres.jpg

NO New York is where I'd rather stay!

Image035.jpg

hypatia said:
NO New York is where I'd rather stay!

Image035.jpg
Hmmmmm makes me want the big city life too!

P7020006.jpg

2271604906_a3fff2864f.jpg

Not so green, but the land definitely spreads out far and wide...

Lol Larkspur, that man is just plain HOT. And he's a science nerd:!):blushing:

Every week you all get so much better! Larkspur, the colours in that shot are unbelievable! Just awesome! What Camera you use?

Well here it goes...

The Gardens

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9317/gardenqr1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
_Mayday_ said:
Every week you all get so much better! Larkspur, the colours in that shot are unbelievable! Just awesome! What Camera you use?

I have a Fuji Finepix S3 Pro SLR. It has a high dynamic range and a film simulation mode that increases the saturation. In my opinion you can't beat Fuji cameras for color, especially greens and blues.

hypatia said:
Lol Larkspur, that man is just plain HOT. And he's a science nerd:!):blushing:
Yeah, for some reason I don't even care if he can sing.:!)

I see what you mean larkspur. Are you a white Y-fronts kinda lady?

_Mayday_ said:
I see what you mean larkspur. Are you a white Y-fronts kinda lady?

:rofl:I like anything he is wearing (or not wearing):blushing:

Green Fields

Believe it or not, this picture was taken about 40 minutes from Tucson, AZ :cool: An especially wet winter lead to an incredible explosion of grasses and shrubs near Gardener Canyon.

GreenAcresSmall.jpg

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

I never vote in these things, and almost never comment upon the pictures, because they're always far too good for me to pick a 'best'. I'm responding to this for one reason only.
Scorpa, when I saw that John Deere, it put me right back on the farm that I lived on in the early 60's. I've never seen that model of mower (or whatever it is) before, but it just rang with history. Then I checked to see who had posted it and it all made sense. It would be interesting to find out how I could recognize an Alberta field with no apparent clues. Maybe the particular colour blend of weeds in the foreground? Anyhow, that was a weird feeling.

Danger said:
I never vote in these things, and almost never comment upon the pictures, because they're always far too good for me to pick a 'best'. I'm responding to this for one reason only.
Scorpa, when I saw that John Deere, it put me right back on the farm that I lived on in the early 60's. I've never seen that model of mower (or whatever it is) before, but it just rang with history. Then I checked to see who had posted it and it all made sense. It would be interesting to find out how I could recognize an Alberta field with no apparent clues. Maybe the particular colour blend of weeds in the foreground? Anyhow, that was a weird feeling.

Thanks Danger, I took this picture when I was home this summer. That's my dad in the tractor cutting hay. I love haying season. I really miss home when I look at these pictures.

scorpa said:
Thanks Danger, I took this picture when I was home this summer. That's my dad in the tractor cutting hay. I love haying season. I really miss home when I look at these pictures.

I can even smell the hay from that picture. Come to think of it, by association I can even smell the silage pit that we used to drive over with the tractors to pack it down. You pretty much brought my entire childhood back with that pic.

Not a lot of green, but it is certainly acres and acres of "farm living".

1030397dx5.jpg

Zz.

1. What is the theme for the PF Photo Contest this week?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Green Acres". This means that we are looking for photos that showcase nature, agriculture, or any other subject that is related to the color green.

2. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you are allowed to submit up to three photos for the PF Photo Contest. However, please make sure that each photo is unique and follows the theme of the week.

3. How do I enter the PF Photo Contest?

To enter the contest, simply post your photo on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #PFPhotoContest and tag @PF_PhotoContest in the caption. Your photo will then be automatically entered into the contest.

4. Who can participate in the PF Photo Contest?

The PF Photo Contest is open to anyone who has a public Instagram or Twitter account. We welcome photographers of all levels, from beginners to professionals, to participate and showcase their talents.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the PF Photo Contest?

The winner of the PF Photo Contest will receive a $50 gift card and will be featured on our social media pages. They will also have the opportunity to be a guest judge for one of our future contests.