PF IRC Chat | Chatroom Network & Channel Info

• Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date
In summary, the chat room is called "Physics Forum" and is hosted on the "Freenode" network. It is a secure network that can hold a large number of people and has sound and color options available. Daylight savings happened last night and it was nice to be able to chat live with some of the PF regulars.
ManDay
Hey there. Nice chatroom that is. But it's IRC at the backend, isn't it? So what's the channels name and on which network does it go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aw comon. Port it to IRC. Although that's probably the nicest Web-chat I've seen so far (that most likely because I never used any, but still...), I prefer my Xchat without the beeps and colors.

what about

irc.freenode.net #phyicsforum

freenode is secure, very fast and can hold many thousand people per channel. You just need to include a free webircclient where you have had the chat so far.

ManDay said:
Aw comon. Port it to IRC. Although that's probably the nicest Web-chat I've seen so far (that most likely because I never used any, but still...), I prefer my Xchat without the beeps and colors.

You can turn off the sound and change the color settings. There are basic instructions for that posted in the thread for the first chat.

I've actually noticed that. I admit it's a very very nice thingy indeed. Still, I prefer to chat from a dedicated chat program - not from my browser.

Too bad i was there only for 1 minute, but it was entertaining to talk about Cyrus 3.9+ rocket scientists' friends and Doc Al's fort of books. He probably can build an one story house with his books.

I had fun, looking forward for the next chat.

Has it ended an hour early or has there been a change in time, like you guys turned yoru clocks back?

_Mayday_ said:
Has it ended an hour early or has there been a change in time, like you guys turned yoru clocks back?

Daylight savings :)

Most of the US pushed the clocks ahead an hour last night.

What a shame :cry:

Haha, see you all next week. I actually slept through most of it, there's something about Sunday afternoons that is so nap-worthy. :smile:

_Mayday_

A good idea, most sites have something like it and it was nice to be able to chat live with some of the PF regulars.

What is PF IRC Chat?

PF IRC Chat is a chatroom network that uses the Internet Relay Chat (IRC) protocol. It allows users to communicate with each other in real-time through text-based messaging.

How do I join PF IRC Chat?

To join PF IRC Chat, you will need an IRC client such as mIRC or HexChat. Once you have downloaded and installed the client, you can connect to the PF IRC Chat server by typing in the server address and port number. You can then join a specific channel or create your own.

What is a channel in PF IRC Chat?

A channel in PF IRC Chat is a virtual room where users can communicate with each other. Each channel has its own topic and rules, and users can join or leave channels at any time. Channels can also be moderated by channel operators.

How do I become a channel operator?

To become a channel operator, also known as an "op," you must be granted this status by the current channel operator. The criteria for becoming an op may vary depending on the channel's rules. Usually, channel operators are responsible for enforcing the rules and maintaining order in the channel.

Can I use PF IRC Chat for private conversations?

Yes, you can use PF IRC Chat for private conversations by sending a private message to another user. Some IRC clients also offer the option to create private channels for group conversations. However, it is important to remember that all conversations in PF IRC Chat are public and can be viewed by anyone in the channel.