Prove that phi(a^n - 1) is divisible by n

• Thread starter xax
  • Start date
In summary: That's all.In summary, for any a>1 and n>0, if we set a^n=1+M, then a^n\equiv 1ModM and n is the smallest positive value that satisfies this equation. Additionally, a belongs to the reduced residue group of order \phi{M} and by LaGrange's Theorem, n is a divisor of the order of the group. This shows that n is the order of the element a, and since it divides the order of the group, it proves that a^n=1+M is true.
xax
As the title says, for any a>1 and n>0

Physics news on Phys.org
Set [tex] a^n=1+M[/tex]. Consequently [tex]a^n\equiv 1ModM[/tex] and is the smallest n for a>1, n>0. It also follows from the last equation that a belongs to the reduced residue group of order [tex]\phi{M}[/tex]. Consequently by LaGrange's Theorem, n is a divisor of the order of the group.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
Set [tex] a^n=1+M[/tex]. Consequently [tex]a^n\equiv 1ModM[/tex] and is the smallest n for a>1, n>0. It also follows from the last equation that a belongs to the reduced residue group of order [tex]\phi{M}[/tex]. Consequently by LaGrange's Theorem, n is a divisor of the order of the group.

You cannot say that for sure, or I am wrong?

al-mahed: You cannot say that for sure, or I am wrong?

I can say what I meant for sure. However, the way I wrote it, "And is the smallest n for a>1,
n>0, which you have put in red, this, I see, is confusing. It is not what I am asserting, but is repeating the conditions given by xax, "As the title says, for any a>1 and n>0."

So that since n >0, and a>1, which is a very minimal restriction, we know we have a positive value here which I deliberately set: [tex] a^n=1+M[/tex] This is the smallest value of n which can be used to achieve the required non-trivial equation: [tex]a^n\equiv 1ModM[/tex] since the left side is, in fact, just 1 more than M.

Thanks for the comment, it shows someone is reading this.

Last edited:
robert, why does m = n and [tex] a^n=1+m[/tex]? This is exactly what I need to prove?
I understood why [tex] a^n=1+M[/tex], but did not understand why M=n.
Thanks

M does not equal n. M=(a^n-1). Thus the order of the group [tex]\phi{M}=\phi(a^n-1)[/tex]. n is the order of the element a.

you've saved me again robert, thanks.

What you have to do sometimes is look at problems. Say, 2^4 =16. So we set the modulus at 15. Thus we have 2^4 ==1 Mod 15.

Now phi(15)= phi(5)*phi(3) = 4x2 = 8. That means that the reduced residue group of elements relatively prime to 15 are 8 in number. They are the elements that form the multiplicative group. (3 for example is not in this group since there is no solution to 3X==1 Mod 15. So 3 has no inverse.)

In fact, the eight elements are: 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14. Each one of these group elements has an inverse. For example: 1*1==1 Mod 15, 2*8=16==1 Mod 15, 4*4==1 Mod 15, 7*13 = 91==1 Mod 15, and so forth.

The theorem then states that the order of the element, which is 4, divides the order of the group which is 8.

Last edited:

1. What is phi(a^n - 1)?

Phi (or Euler's totient function) is the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n.

2. How do you prove that phi(a^n - 1) is divisible by n?

This can be proven using mathematical induction. First, it can be shown that phi(a - 1) is divisible by a. Then, using this base case, it can be shown that for any n ≥ 2, if phi(a^(n-1) - 1) is divisible by n, then phi(a^n - 1) is also divisible by n.

3. What is the significance of proving that phi(a^n - 1) is divisible by n?

Proving that phi(a^n - 1) is divisible by n is significant because it allows us to determine the order of a mod n, which is useful in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as cryptography and number theory.

4. Can this statement be applied to all values of a and n?

Yes, this statement can be applied to all positive integer values of a and n. However, for negative values of a, the statement may not hold true.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this statement?

Yes, this statement has applications in areas such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is used to calculate the order of elements in a group, which is important in solving certain mathematical problems and developing secure encryption methods.