Eigenstates and Angular Momentum

In summary, the given rigid rotor state can be expressed as a superposition of l = 1 and l = -1 states, and the z component of the orbital angular momentum can have the values of \pm \hbar with probabilities given by |<\Psi(\theta, \phi), Y_1^{\pm 1}>|^2. The coefficients in the superposition do not have to be real, so multiplying by a factor of i will give the correct results.
IHateMayonnaise
[SOLVED] Eigenstates and Angular Momentum

Homework Statement

At a given instant, a rigid rotor is in the state:

[tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\phi) Sin(\theta)[/tex]

If the z component of the orbital angular momentum is measured, what are the possible values of [tex]<\hat{L_{z}}>[/tex], and with what probability will they occur?

Homework Equations

These are the equations that I think are relevant:

[tex]\hat{L_z}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

[tex]L_z = m_l \hbar[/tex]

[tex]|m_l| \leq l[/tex]

[tex]<\hat{L_z}>=\int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^*(\theta, \phi)\left(\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right)\Psi(\theta, \phi) d\phi[/tex]

[tex]Y_1^1=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}Sin(\theta)e^{i\theta}[/tex]

[tex]Y_1^{-1}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}Sin(\theta)e^{-i\theta}[/tex]

...and also the exponential identities for Sine and Cosine.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose my question really has to do with the nature of the wavefunctions defined by Spherical Harmonics. Since the solution to The Schrodinger Equation in spherical coordinates has solutions that correspond to Spherical Harmonics (i.e., [tex]Y_l^{m_l}[/tex] corresponds to [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex] above), it seems like we should only be able to get solutions (ie wavestates) that are in this form! And while [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex] is close to both [tex]Y_1^1[/tex] and [tex]Y_1^{-1}[/tex], it isn't the same. Furthermore, it looks like it could be a superposition of the two, but it's not!

So, really, I need to find [tex]l[/tex] and [tex]m_l[/tex]. Since our [tex]\phi[/tex] dependence in our wavefunction has a coefficient of 1 (i.e. [tex]Sin(\phi)[/tex] corresponds to [tex]e^{im_l\phi}[/tex] where [tex]m_l=1[/tex]). So, [tex]l[/tex] can have the possible values of [tex]+1[/tex] or [tex]-1[/tex]. But, like I stated in the above paragraph, neither [tex]Y_1^1[/tex] or [tex]Y_1^{-1}[/tex] correspond to our wavefunction! So what the hell is [tex]m_l[/tex] and [tex]l[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
IHateMayonnaise said:

Homework Statement

At a given instant, a rigid rotor is in the state:

[tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\phi) Sin(\theta)[/tex]

If the z component of the orbital angular momentum is measured, what are the possible values of [tex]<\hat{L_{z}}>[/tex], and with what probability will they occur?

Homework Equations

These are the equations that I think are relevant:

[tex]\hat{L_z}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

[tex]L_z = m_l \hbar[/tex]

[tex]|m_l| \leq l[/tex]

[tex]<\hat{L_z}>=\int_0^{2\pi} \Psi^*(\theta, \phi)\left(\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right)\Psi(\theta, \phi) d\phi[/tex]

[tex]Y_1^1=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}Sin(\theta)e^{i\theta}[/tex]

[tex]Y_1^{-1}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}Sin(\theta)e^{-i\theta}[/tex]

...and also the exponential identities for Sine and Cosine.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose my question really has to do with the nature of the wavefunctions defined by Spherical Harmonics. Since the solution to The Schrodinger Equation in spherical coordinates has solutions that correspond to Spherical Harmonics (i.e., [tex]Y_l^{m_l}[/tex] corresponds to [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex] above), it seems like we should only be able to get solutions (ie wavestates) that are in this form!
why? A general solution is a linear combination of the eigenstates. Nothing says that a physical system must absolutely be an eigenstate of an operator (unless this operator was measured and we consider the state just after the measurement)
And while [tex]\Psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex] is close to both [tex]Y_1^1[/tex] and [tex]Y_1^{-1}[/tex], it isn't the same. Furthermore, it looks like it could be a superposition of the two, but it's not!
Of course it's a superposition. Look at it carefully and you can write it as a linear combination.

nrqed said:
why? A general solution is a linear combination of the eigenstates. Nothing says that a physical system must absolutely be an eigenstate of an operator (unless this operator was measured and we consider the state just after the measurement)

Of course it's a superposition. Look at it carefully and you can write it as a linear combination.

Okay, so it is a superposition of [tex]l=1[/tex] and [tex]l=-1[/tex], so those are the two possible values of the orbital angular momentum, right?

If I wanted to find the probability of each wouldn't I just compute:

[tex]|a_1|^2=<\Psi(\phi),e^{i\phi}>^2[/tex]?

(here [tex]\Psi(\phi)[/tex] is equal to [tex]\Psi(\theta, \phi)[/tex] except without the theta dependence?)

Last edited:
IHateMayonnaise said:
Okay, so it is a superposition of [tex]l=1[/tex] and [tex]l=-1[/tex], so those are the two possible values of the orbital angular momentum, right?

If I wanted to find the probability of each wouldn't I just compute:

[tex]|a_1|^2=<\Psi(\phi),e^{i\phi}>^2[/tex]?
No you would compute

[tex]|<\Psi(\theta,\phi),Y_1^1>|^2[/tex] and so on. (Of course if you write the explicit expansion in term of the Y_m^l, you can also read of directly the coefficients.)

Ok so I actually don't see how it's a linear combination of Y_1^1 and Y_1^-1...because every time I do the computation I get:

[tex]-i\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\theta)Sin(\phi)[/tex]

I can't get rid of that -i! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
IHateMayonnaise said:
Ok so I actually don't see how it's a linear combination of Y_1^1 and Y_1^-1...because every time I do the computation I get:

[tex]-i\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\theta)Sin(\phi)[/tex]

I can't get rid of that -i! Any thoughts?

just multiply your coefficients by +i !
Nothing says that the coefficients have to be real.

nrqed said:
just multiply your coefficients by +i !
Nothing says that the coefficients have to be real.

I'm sorry but I don't understand! Why can you just "multiply by i" ?

IHateMayonnaise said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand! Why can you just "multiply by i" ?

What I mean is that if you have

[tex] c_1 Y_1^1 + c_2 y_1^{-1} = -i\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\theta)Sin(\phi)[/tex]

for some c_1 and c_2, then obviously

[tex] i c_1 Y_1^1 + i c_2 y_1^{-1} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}Sin(\theta)Sin(\phi)[/tex]

So if you use i c_1 and i c_2 as your coefficients, you get the correct answer!

What are eigenstates and angular momentum?

Eigenstates refer to the possible states that a quantum mechanical system can exist in, each with a corresponding eigenvalue. Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of a system.

How are eigenstates and angular momentum related?

Eigenstates of a system with angular momentum can be described by the eigenvalues of the angular momentum operator, which represent the possible magnitudes and directions of the system's angular momentum.

What is the significance of eigenstates and angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates and angular momentum play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they provide a way to describe and understand the behavior of particles and systems at the subatomic level.

How are eigenstates and angular momentum measured or observed?

Eigenstates can be observed through experiments such as the double-slit experiment, which allows for the measurement of a particle's position and momentum. Angular momentum can be measured through techniques such as electron spin resonance or nuclear magnetic resonance.

Can eigenstates and angular momentum change over time?

Yes, eigenstates and angular momentum can change over time as a system evolves. This change in eigenstates is described by the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, which takes into account the effects of external forces on the system.