About the equipartition theorem

• Thread starter luisgml_2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the rotational energy of a diatomic molecule such as H_{2} is given by\frac{J^2_{\|}}{2I_{\|}}+\frac{J^2_{\bot}}{2I_{\bot}}.J^2_{\|} stands for the angular momentum with respect to the axis of symmetry of the molecule and J^2_{\bot} the angular momentum perpendicular to that axis. If you have a gas with N molecules held at temperature T, what is the mean energy per molecule?(a) The rotational energy of a diatomic molecule such as H_{2} is given by\frac{
luisgml_2000

Homework Statement

(a) The rotational energy of a diatomic molecule such as [tex]H_{2}[/tex] is given by

[tex]\frac{J^2_{\|}}{2I_{\|}}+\frac{J^2_{\bot}}{2I_{\bot}}[/tex].

[tex]J^2_{\|}[/tex] stands for the angular momentum with respect to the axis of symmetry of the molecule and [tex]J^2_{\bot}[/tex] the angular momentum perpendicular to that axis. If you have a gas with N molecules held at temperature T, what is the mean energy per molecule?

(b) A long thin needle floats within a gas at constant temperature. What will be the mean orientation of the needle's angular momentum vector? Parallel or perpendicular to the axis of symmetry of the needle?

Homework Equations

Equipartition theorem

[tex]\left\langle x_i \frac{\partial \mathcal{H}}{\partial x_j}
= kT\delta_{ij} \right\rangle [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Because of the equipartition theorem, each degree of freedom gives [tex]\frac{1}{2}kT[/tex] to the energy, so I think the mean energy per molecule should be [tex]\frac{3}{2}kT[/tex] (the free particle contribution) plus [tex]\frac{2}{2}kT[/tex] (the rotational energy).

(b) I think the angular momentum vector will be oriented perpendicular to the axis of symmetry of the needle, but I don't have an argument for it.

Thanks for your attention!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) Each harmonic term in the hamiltonian should give [tex]\frac{1}{2}kT[/tex] to the mean energy per molecule, and then the rotational contribution to the mean energy per molecule should be 3kT.

(b) The needle will rotate about the axis of symmetry of the molecule because the moment of inertia is greater than the moment of inertia about the line that passes trough the atoms.

Do you know where I can find information about the ideal diatomic molecule? Thanks a million.

luisgml_2000 said:
(a) Because of the equipartition theorem, each degree of freedom gives [tex]\frac{1}{2}kT[/tex] to the energy, so I think the mean energy per molecule should be [tex]\frac{3}{2}kT[/tex] (the free particle contribution) plus [tex]\frac{2}{2}kT[/tex] (the rotational energy).
I think that the rotation perpendicular to the axis of simetry would contribute twice as much (2*kT/2), since it has two possible directions. This gives an average of 3kT total (translation+rotation) energy per molecule (if vibration is neglected).

Lojzek said:
I think that the rotation perpendicular to the axis of simetry would contribute twice as much (2*kT/2), since it has two possible directions.

Maybe I'm making a mistake, but one of those 2 directions was already counted when we considered the rotations about the axis of symmetry.

By the way, I've been reading about this problem and found that books say that the diatomic molecule has (5/2)*kT, since they consider only the rotations about the axis of symmetry. Why do they do that?

luisgml_2000 said:
Maybe I'm making a mistake, but one of those 2 directions was already counted when we considered the rotations about the axis of symmetry.

By the way, I've been reading about this problem and found that books say that the diatomic molecule has (5/2)*kT, since they consider only the rotations about the axis of symmetry. Why do they do that?
Let's say that the centers of H atoms of our molecule lie on x axes (this is the symmetry axes). There are 3 possible rotations: around x, y and z axes. x gives angular momentum parallel to symmetry axes, y and z are two degrees of fredom coresponding to angular momentum perpendicular to axes of symmetry: therefore they get 2*kT/2 and rotation around x gets kT/2, so the total energy is 3 kT (together with translation).

5/2 kT corresponds to translation+2 rotations perpendicular to the axes of symmetry. The rotation around the axes of symmetry is left out.
I think it is because of the discreet values of angular momentum in quantum mechanics (equipartition theorem is true only in classical aproximation, where all values are allowed). The formula for rotational energy is gama^2/2*J. J around the axes of symmetry is very small, so it is possible that even the smalles allowed value of gama gives an energy much higher than kT, so it the probability for rotation around that axes is small and can be neglected (exceptions are very high temperatures).

What is the equipartition theorem?

The equipartition theorem is a principle in statistical mechanics that states that the total energy of a system made up of multiple degrees of freedom is evenly distributed among all of those degrees of freedom at thermal equilibrium.

How does the equipartition theorem relate to temperature?

The equipartition theorem states that each degree of freedom in a system at thermal equilibrium has an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. This means that as the temperature of a system increases, the average energy of each degree of freedom also increases.

What are some examples of the equipartition theorem in action?

One example is the motion of gas molecules in a container. Each molecule has three degrees of freedom (x, y, and z direction), and according to the equipartition theorem, the average energy of each degree of freedom is kT/2. This is why the temperature of a gas is directly related to the average speed of its molecules.

What are the limitations of the equipartition theorem?

The equipartition theorem only applies to systems at thermal equilibrium, where all degrees of freedom have equal energy. It also does not take into account quantum effects, and therefore cannot accurately describe systems at very low temperatures or systems with particles that behave quantum mechanically.

How is the equipartition theorem used in practical applications?

The equipartition theorem is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and predict the behavior of systems at thermal equilibrium. It is also used in statistical mechanics to calculate the thermodynamic properties of gases and other systems.