Radioactive decay. Is energy released? OPINION PLEASE

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not energy is released in the process of radioactive decay, specifically in the decay of 226/88Ra into Rn (atomic #86) and an alpha particle. The question asks if energy is released without a conversion of mass, and the answer is yes, as explained in the textbook. The conversation also mentions the Mayor of Hiroshima and a joke about a large insurance claim.
daNAV1GATOR
[SOLVED] Radioactive decay. Is energy released? OPINION PLEASE!

This is my last question in my last Physics exam!
YES! I'M ALMOST DONE! :rofl:

I would just like your opinion on this question...
My answer is Yes... But sometimes I think it should be NO because
of the question's option for a No answer. But from what I understand
in the textbook, the answer should be YES.

1. THE QUESTION:

The decay of [tex]\frac{226}{88}[/tex]Ra results in the release of some energy. Your book tells you that energy
is released in a nuclear reaction when mass is changed to energy. Yet there are the same
number of nucleons before the decay as there are after the decay. Is energy released
in this reaction without a conversion of mass? If not, what mass is converted?
2. MY ANSWER:

Yes, energy is released in this reaction even though the total amount of nucleons in the two new atoms are still the same. Why? Well, the textbook says that when an element transmutates, energy is released in three forms: gamma radiation, the kinetic energy of the alpha or beta particle, and the kinetic energy of the new element. In addition, gamma radiation is massless energy. So if the radium particle emitted gamma rays, its mass would not be affected, even though energy was released.
FYI: This question is a continuation of the previous problem, which is: [tex]\frac{226}{88}[/tex]Ra decays into Rn (atomic #86) and an alpha particle. Complete the reaction written below.

[tex]\frac{226}{88}[/tex]Ra [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (my answer follows) [tex]\frac{222}{86}[/tex]Rn + [tex]\frac{4}{2}[/tex]He

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add up the masses of the reaction products, you'll find that they are lighter. mass is converted to energy.

If energy isn't released then the Mayor of Hiroshima has some questions to answer about a very large insurance claim.

mgb_phys said:
If energy isn't released then the Mayor of Hiroshima has some questions to answer about a very large insurance claim.

lol :D

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable nucleus of an atom releases energy and transforms into a more stable form.

How does radioactive decay occur?

During radioactive decay, the unstable nucleus of an atom emits particles and/or energy in order to become more stable. This process can occur naturally or can be induced in a lab.

What types of particles are emitted during radioactive decay?

The most common types of particles emitted during radioactive decay are alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays. These particles have different properties and energies, and can be harmful to living organisms if exposed to high levels.

Is energy released during radioactive decay?

Yes, energy is released during radioactive decay. This energy is in the form of heat, light, or other electromagnetic radiation, depending on the type of decay. This energy can be harnessed for various purposes, such as in nuclear power plants.

Do all elements undergo radioactive decay?

No, not all elements undergo radioactive decay. Only elements with unstable nuclei, called radioactive isotopes, will undergo this process. Most elements on the periodic table have a stable form, while a few have one or more radioactive isotopes.