Is the velocity of a bunsen burner flame proportional to the cold flow velocity?

In summary, the velocity of a bunsen burner flame is related to the cold flow velocity, but not directly proportional. The equation S = Usin a is commonly used to estimate the flame velocity, but it may not always provide accurate results. Conducting experiments and analyzing the data using statistical methods is crucial for understanding the relationship between these two variables. It is also important to consider other factors that can affect the flame velocity. Seeking guidance and assistance from an instructor or colleague is recommended for a more systematic approach to your project. Good luck!
mavd20

Homework Statement

Is the velocity of a bunsen burner flame proportional to the cold flow velocity?

Homework Equations

S = Usin a

Where S = flame velocity
U = cold flow velocity
a = half cone angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I took numerous photographs of flames of increasing flow rate and drew a triange over the flame front and then used the trig equation about to calculate S. ( I knew U from the flow metres)

I have that S increases with U but I don't know if this is right! I'm on a meltdown at the moment and this thing is due in the morning and it's driving me mad!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The velocity of a bunsen burner flame is not directly proportional to the cold flow velocity, but it is related to it. The equation you provided, S = Usin a, is known as the "flame velocity correlation" and is commonly used to estimate the flame velocity in a bunsen burner. However, this equation assumes that the flow is laminar and the flame is steady, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

To accurately determine the relationship between the flame velocity and cold flow velocity, it is important to conduct experiments under controlled conditions and analyze the data using statistical methods. This will provide a more accurate understanding of the relationship between these two variables. Additionally, factors such as fuel and air mixture, burner design, and ambient conditions can also affect the flame velocity and should be taken into consideration.

I understand that you are under a time constraint, but it is important to take a systematic approach in scientific research to ensure accurate results. I recommend consulting with your instructor or a colleague for further guidance and assistance. Good luck with your project!

1. Is the velocity of a Bunsen burner flame affected by the cold flow velocity?

Yes, the velocity of a Bunsen burner flame is directly proportional to the cold flow velocity.

2. What is the relationship between the Bunsen burner flame velocity and the cold flow velocity?

The velocity of a Bunsen burner flame is directly proportional to the cold flow velocity. This means that as the cold flow velocity increases, the flame velocity also increases.

3. How does the cold flow velocity affect the Bunsen burner flame?

The cold flow velocity has a direct impact on the velocity of the Bunsen burner flame. As the cold flow velocity increases, the flame velocity also increases.

4. Can the Bunsen burner flame velocity be controlled by adjusting the cold flow velocity?

Yes, the Bunsen burner flame velocity can be controlled by adjusting the cold flow velocity. By increasing or decreasing the cold flow velocity, the flame velocity will also change accordingly.

5. Is there a specific ratio between the Bunsen burner flame velocity and the cold flow velocity?

There is no specific ratio between the Bunsen burner flame velocity and the cold flow velocity. However, the flame velocity is directly proportional to the cold flow velocity, meaning that the two velocities increase and decrease together.