Calculating Moles of Pain Killer/H+ with Titration

In summary: Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I don't know if that would help me. I was struggling with the moles of hydrogen ion and how it would be related to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution.
rowkem

Homework Statement

Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

Homework Equations

C1V1=C2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I don't know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I can't get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

All that said, I could really use some guidance on this as to what I've don't correctly and where I went wrong, as well as where to go from here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to distinguish between the tablet-or-capsule and the active monoprotic acid ingredient(the componant which you titrated). You are only titrating the ACID in the sample; the target acid is only a fraction of the entire sample.

Anyone?

rowkem said:

Homework Statement

Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

Homework Equations

C1V1=C2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I don't know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I can't get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

That's the answer. Why doesn't that make sense to you? The painkiller is a monoprotic acid, yes?

here it is again in the statement of your problem...
...calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration...

1. How do you calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ in a titration?

To calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ in a titration, you need to know the concentration of the acid or base being titrated, the volume of the acid or base used, and the molar ratio of the acid or base and the pain killer/H+. Use the formula moles of acid/base = concentration x volume to determine the number of moles of acid or base used. Then, use the molar ratio to determine the number of moles of pain killer/H+ present.

2. What is the molar ratio between the pain killer/H+ and the acid/base in a titration?

The molar ratio between the pain killer/H+ and the acid/base in a titration depends on the specific chemical reaction taking place. This ratio can be determined from the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. For example, if the reaction is 1 mole of acid/base reacting with 1 mole of pain killer/H+, the molar ratio would be 1:1.

3. Why is titration used to calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+?

Titration is used to calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ because it allows for precise measurement of the volume of acid or base used in the reaction. This volume, along with the known concentration of the acid or base, can be used to determine the number of moles of acid or base used, which can then be used to calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ present.

4. Can titration be used to calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ in a mixture of chemicals?

Yes, titration can be used to calculate the number of moles of pain killer/H+ in a mixture of chemicals, as long as the specific chemical reaction taking place is known and the molar ratio between the acid/base and the pain killer/H+ is known. The process would be the same as for a single chemical reaction, but the initial concentration and volume of the acid or base may need to be adjusted to account for the other chemicals present.

5. How does the calculation of moles of pain killer/H+ in a titration relate to its effectiveness as a pain reliever?

The calculation of moles of pain killer/H+ in a titration is important for understanding the potency and effectiveness of a pain killer. The higher the number of moles of pain killer/H+, the more potent the pain killer may be, as it means there are more molecules available to interact with and block pain receptors. This information can also be used to determine the appropriate dosage for maximum pain relief.