How Does Pascal's Principle Apply in Hydraulic Systems?

• Thread starter chukie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about finding the pressure under a 3.0 m2 piston with a 200 kg object sitting on it, as well as the pressure under a 0.5 m2 piston attached to the hydraulic system. By using the formula P=F/A, a pressure of 653 Pa is calculated for the 3.0 m2 piston. The pressure under the 0.5 m2 piston is assumed to be the same due to Pascal's principle. To find the force needed to move the object, the formula F1A1=F2A2 is used, resulting in a force of 327N needed to move the object.
chukie

Homework Statement

A 200 kg object sits on a 3.0 m2 piston that is connected to a hydraulic system with a 0.5 m2 piston attached. What is the pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston? What is the pressure under the 0.5m2 piston and why? What force needs to be applied to the smaller piston to move the object?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston. I used P=F/A
P=(200*9.8)/3
P=653 Pa

Is this rite? or should i use 3.0+0.5 for A?

for the other pressure i said it was the same because of Pascal's principle.

As for the last part i did F1A1=F2A2
so F2=(F1A1)/A2
F2=(200*9.8*0.5)/3
=327N

I'm not sure if i did this right. any help/comment would help a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
chukie said:

Homework Statement

A 200 kg object sits on a 3.0 m2 piston that is connected to a hydraulic system with a 0.5 m2 piston attached. What is the pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston? What is the pressure under the 0.5m2 piston and why? What force needs to be applied to the smaller piston to move the object?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston. I used P=F/A
P=(200*9.8)/3
P=653 Pa

Is this rite? or should i use 3.0+0.5 for A?

for the other pressure i said it was the same because of Pascal's principle.

As for the last part i did F1A1=F2A2
so F2=(F1A1)/A2
F2=(200*9.8*0.5)/3
=327N

I'm not sure if i did this right. any help/comment would help a lot.
Looks good to me :approve:

I would like to clarify that the calculation of pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston is correct, assuming that the force acting on the piston is only due to the weight of the object. However, it is important to note that the pressure under a piston in a hydraulic system is dependent on the force acting on the smaller piston, not just the weight of the object. Therefore, the pressure under the 3.0 m2 piston may change if a force is applied to the smaller piston.

For the pressure under the 0.5 m2 piston, it is indeed the same as under the 3.0 m2 piston due to Pascal's principle, which states that pressure is transmitted equally throughout a confined fluid.

Your calculation of the force needed to move the object using the equation F1A1 = F2A2 is also correct. However, it is important to consider the direction of the force. In this case, a downward force needs to be applied to the smaller piston to lift the 200 kg object. Therefore, the force needed would be negative (-327 N).

1. What is a piston/hydraulic system?

A piston/hydraulic system is a mechanical system that uses the force of a liquid, typically oil, to transfer power and move a piston within a cylinder. This system is often used in machinery, such as car brakes and construction equipment, to create linear motion and transfer force.

2. How does a piston/hydraulic system work?

In a piston/hydraulic system, a pump pushes the liquid, typically oil, into a cylinder. This creates pressure, which pushes against a piston inside the cylinder, causing it to move. The movement of the piston can then be used to power other parts of the machine.

3. What are the advantages of using a piston/hydraulic system?

One advantage of using a piston/hydraulic system is its ability to transfer a large amount of force using a relatively small amount of liquid. This makes it a powerful and efficient system for many applications. Additionally, the use of a liquid rather than air reduces the risk of leaks and allows for more precise control of the movement of the piston.

4. What are some common applications of a piston/hydraulic system?

Piston/hydraulic systems are commonly used in a variety of machinery and equipment, such as car brakes, cranes, forklifts, and construction equipment. They are also used in hydraulic presses and other industrial machinery.

5. How do you maintain a piston/hydraulic system?

Regular maintenance is important for a piston/hydraulic system to ensure its proper functioning. This includes checking and replacing the hydraulic fluid regularly, inspecting and replacing any damaged or worn parts, and keeping the system clean to prevent contamination. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and to address any issues or malfunctions promptly to avoid further damage.