Is there a way to run Emacs in the background from a Linux shell?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to run emacs in the background from a linux shell. One way is by adding & behind the command, such as "emacs foo.txt &". Another method is to use the command bg to resume a suspended program, such as "bg %512" for an emacs program with output "512" from the command "jobs -l".
ehrenfest
When I open emacs from a linux shell, it always makes it run in the "foreground" so that I cannot do anything else in the shell until I close emacs. I used to know a way around this with some extra command after "$ emacs" but I forgot it. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You automatically background commands by adding & behind it.

So for example "emacs foo.txt &"

Also if you suspend a program, you can resume it in the background with the command bg. Example would be

"jobs -l" outputs 512 for your emacs program, so then you run "bg %512".

Yes, there is a way to run Emacs in the background from a Linux shell. You can use the command "emacs &" to start Emacs in the background. This will allow you to continue using the shell while Emacs is running. Alternatively, you can use the command "emacs -nw" to start Emacs in the terminal without opening a new window, allowing you to continue using the shell as well. You can also use the command "emacsclient &" to start a new Emacs session in the background and then use "emacsclient -t" to open the new session in the terminal. This allows you to have multiple Emacs sessions running in the background while still being able to use the shell. I hope this helps!

What is Emacs and how is it used from a Linux shell?

Emacs is a powerful, customizable text editor that is commonly used by programmers and developers. It can be used from a Linux shell by simply typing "emacs" followed by the name of the file you want to edit.

How do I navigate and edit files using Emacs from a Linux shell?

Emacs has various navigation and editing commands that can be used to move through a file, make changes, and save them. For example, you can use the arrow keys to move through the text, use the "Ctrl" key in combination with other keys to perform editing actions, and use the "Ctrl-x Ctrl-s" command to save your changes.

Can I customize Emacs for my specific needs?

Yes, Emacs is highly customizable and can be tailored to fit your individual preferences and needs. You can create custom key bindings, install additional packages and modes for specific programming languages, and even write your own functions to automate tasks.

Is it possible to use Emacs for collaborative editing?

Yes, Emacs has a built-in feature called "Tramp" which allows for remote file editing and collaboration. It also supports version control systems like Git, making it easy to collaborate with others on a project.

What are some other useful features of Emacs from a Linux shell?

Emacs has many useful features, such as syntax highlighting for various programming languages, code completion, and a built-in terminal emulator. It also has a powerful search and replace function, and the ability to split the screen into multiple windows for multitasking.