How to Solve Complex Equations Involving i

• Thread starter lostinphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the procedure for obtaining complex solutions of equations involving i, using the example z^3=i. The usual method involves writing the equation in exponential notation and solving for r and theta. Different values of k can be used to find multiple solutions.
lostinphys
Hi,
Could anyone please explain to me the procedure of obtaining complex solutions of equations where i is involved? For example z^3=i.
Many thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
-i is one solution. I obtained that via more madness than method

The usual thing to do would be to write the equal in exponential notation, ie [itex]z = re^{i\theta}}[/itex], [itex]i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex], then for z^3 = i, we would have
[tex]r^3e^{3i\theta} = e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]
From this you can conclude that r = 1. To find theta you take the logarithms,
[tex]3i\theta + 2ik\pi = i\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
And then solve for theta, with different values of k (k as an integer).

You do it the same way you find the complex solutions of e.g. z^3=1

thanks a bunch nicksauce :)

1. What is the value of i in complex equations?

The value of i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. In complex equations, i is used to represent imaginary numbers, which cannot be expressed as real numbers.

2. How do I simplify complex equations involving i?

To simplify complex equations involving i, you can use the basic rules of arithmetic, such as combining like terms and using the distributive property. You can also use the rules of exponents, such as raising i to a power, to simplify the equation.

3. How do I determine the solutions to complex equations involving i?

To determine the solutions to complex equations involving i, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the roots of the equation. Keep in mind that complex solutions will involve both real and imaginary numbers.

4. Can I graph complex equations involving i?

Yes, you can graph complex equations involving i. However, the graph will be in the complex plane, with the real numbers on the x-axis and the imaginary numbers on the y-axis. The points on the graph will be represented by a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

5. How are complex equations involving i used in real life?

Complex equations involving i are used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used to model real-life situations, such as the growth of populations or the spread of diseases.