Inexperienced and with project

• Thread starter kyrga
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: Yes, I would love to take a look at that! In summary, a servo might be a good option for the blinking eyes.
kyrga
I've always loved taking things apart and putting them back together, but I've never tried to build any kind of electronic device from scratch. I'm putting together something for an art project, and would really like it to have eyes with blinking eyelids.

Some of the specifications to work with are:
1. The parts that move the eyelids need to be small (major components minus wires need to fit in a space no bigger than a baseball)
2. It has to run off some sort of battery, as it will not be able to be plugged in.
3. It needs to be lightweight (no more than 1-2 lbs)
4. Time isn't much of an issue, but money is, so I need a cost-effective solution.

Is this feasible? I'd appreciate any kind of advice you have to share. I've been flipping through books and looking around online, but I just can't figure out where to start.

Thanks for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending on how big these blinking eyes need to be, I might try and steal the eyes out of a doll or Furby that already has working blinking eyes.

I agree. And even if you don't like those particular eyes, you can see a working system in action - and perhaps harvest the parts to use in your setup.

That was my initial idea, but my local toy store was surprisingly devoid of any blinking-eye toys... guess I'll have to do some more searching.

Thanks for the swift replies!

mgb_phys said:
The usual gadget is a remote control car type servo, these move an arm through 90-180 deg, lots of torque, cheap, and easy to control

http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml

Awesome! The information on that site looks to be extremely helpful! Thanks!

Iv got a JR DS581 I think it is just sitting around if your interested. It was a throttle servo in my heli but it was a bit to slow.

1. What does it mean to be "inexperienced" in a project?

Inexperienced in a project means that the person has little or no prior knowledge or experience in that particular field or area of study. They may lack the necessary skills and expertise to successfully complete the project on their own.

2. How does inexperience affect a project?

Inexperience can have a significant impact on a project. It can result in delays, mistakes, and overall lower quality of work. It may also require more guidance and support from more experienced team members.

3. What are some ways to overcome inexperience in a project?

One way to overcome inexperience is to seek guidance and mentorship from more experienced individuals. Another approach is to do thorough research and self-study to gain the necessary knowledge and skills. It is also important to communicate openly and ask for help when needed.

4. How can inexperience be seen as an advantage in a project?

Inexperience can bring fresh perspectives and ideas to a project. It allows for a different approach and can lead to innovative solutions. Inexperienced individuals may also be more open to learning and trying new things, which can benefit the project.

5. How can a team effectively manage inexperienced members in a project?

The key to managing inexperienced team members is effective communication and support. Clearly defining roles and responsibilities, providing proper training and resources, and offering guidance and feedback can help inexperienced members contribute to the project successfully. It is also important to create a positive and inclusive team dynamic to foster learning and growth.