Time constant of photodiode? parallel stray capacitance?

In summary, the time response of the circuit depends on the time constant of the feedback resistance Rf and its parallel stray capacitance.
cks
Hihi,

http://sales.hamamatsu.com/assets/applications/SSD/si_pd_circuit_kspd1043e06.pdf
5. high-sensor

From the message there, I don't understand what is the meaning of time constant of resistor?

Why does it say that the time response of the circuit depends on the time constant?

Is parallel stray capacitance = parasitic capacitance?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
> "From the message there, I don't understand what is the meaning of time constant of resistor?"

The statement is "the time constant of the feedback resistance Rf and its parallel stray capacitance."

A resistor (or pretty much anything, for that matter) will have a capacitance. A reasonable model for this is to say there is a small capacitor in parallel with the resistor. The time constance is simply RC, as it is with any resistor-capacitor combination.

> "Why does it say that the time response of the circuit depends on the time constant?"

The effect of the resistor's parallel stray capacitance is to try to hold the op-amp output at the same level w.r.t. the input. This RC time affects how quickly the op-amp output responds to a change in the photodiode signal.

> "Is parallel stray capacitance = parasitic capacitance?"

I'm not entirely sure, but I think parasitic capacitance refers to different parts or wires in the circuit being near each other and creating a capacitance.

...I think parasitic capacitance refers to different parts or wires in the circuit being near each other and creating a capacitance.
Yes. Here is what http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_capacitance" says.
In electrical circuits, parasitic capacitance is the unavoidable and usually unwanted capacitance that exists between the parts of an electronic component or circuit, simply because of their proximity to each other. All actual circuit elements such as inductors, diodes, and transistors have internal capacitance, which can cause their behavior to depart from that of 'ideal' circuit elements. In addition, parasitic capacitance can exist between closely spaced conductors, such as wires or printed circuit board traces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for you guys help, I understand already. It just deserves a bit of thought. Thank you again.

1. What is the time constant of a photodiode?

The time constant of a photodiode refers to the amount of time it takes for the photocurrent generated by the diode to reach 63.2% of its maximum value in response to a sudden change in light intensity.

2. How is the time constant of a photodiode calculated?

The time constant of a photodiode can be calculated by dividing the total junction capacitance of the diode by the diode's dark resistance. It can also be measured experimentally by applying a step function of light and measuring the time it takes for the photocurrent to reach 63.2% of its maximum value.

3. What factors can affect the time constant of a photodiode?

The time constant of a photodiode can be affected by the diode's junction capacitance, dark resistance, and the amount of stray capacitance in the circuit. It can also be influenced by the wavelength and intensity of the incident light.

4. What is parallel stray capacitance in relation to a photodiode?

Parallel stray capacitance refers to any capacitance in the circuit that is not intentional or part of the diode's junction capacitance. It can result from the layout of the circuit and can affect the time constant of the photodiode by slowing down the response time.

5. How can the impact of parallel stray capacitance be minimized in a photodiode circuit?

The impact of parallel stray capacitance can be minimized by carefully designing the layout of the circuit and keeping the leads and connections as short as possible. The use of shielding and proper grounding techniques can also help reduce the effects of stray capacitance.