Experience and or Thoughts on Dual Major E.E.+M.E.

In summary, it is up to the individual as to whether or not a dual degree in engineering is beneficial. Some people find that it helps them, while others do not. Some people believe that it is better to have a narrow focus in order to be more versatile, while others feel that a more general education is better.
fmadero
Does anyone know if it is worth doing both Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering? Does it help or hurt? Anyone know of a person who has done this and what was there outcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm an ME and thought about doing this. I went with just the ME and now currently do electromechanical work. If you want to do both then I would just get a BS degree in electromechanics followed by a MS.

fmadero said:
Does anyone know if it is worth doing both Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering? Does it help or hurt? Anyone know of a person who has done this and what was there outcome.

It's has helped me personally, but it really depends on what area you want to work in.

CS

I can't see how it would hurt you. I too thought about it. My school had a 5 year plan to get both. I just could not afford that extra year or I would have done it. If anything you run the risk of not using it to the full potential. I just can not see how cross training can be a bad thing in this day and age.

My employer now has pretty much shown that, even though I dabble in the electrical side too, they would prefer an MS over a dual degree for their engineers. That's just us though. Opinions will vary I am sure.

I'll just make the statement: Its better to know a lot about a little, rather than a little about a lot.

When it comes to industry anyway.

I straddle that line in my own career. A Jack-of-all-trades, master of none is not looked upon favorably in most circles I deal with. However it is rather ironic that there has always been the push for engineers to have a wider breadth of knowledge.

Topher925 said:
I'll just make the statement: Its better to know a lot about a little, rather than a little about a lot.

When it comes to industry anyway.

depends entirely on the company and the location. if you work for a small company, and have a PhD in aeroelastics, you'll be worthless 99% of the time. but at the same company someone with an aero and EE degree would be worth their weight in gold

i immediately jump to this example because I've only worked for small locations or small companies (<5k people)

EE and a law degree is an awesome combination.

stewartcs said:
It's has helped me personally, but it really depends on what area you want to work in.

CS
I am thinking maybe an analytical engineer, may be in control systems/senors or robotics/automation but I am not completely for sure. Ideally if I could use my background in computer science and could combine this with electrical and/or mechanical it would be a dream come true.

-frank

How far are you currently in college? Because I'm going into my third year of studying as an ME and it's pretty tough. I have friend's who are in EE and they say it's not any easier. I mean engineering is a tough major all together but if you can handle it than by all means go for it. At the same time just make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew, because a dual degree in engineering is tough.

Also, some things look good on paper, but when it comes to practicality it's not really worth it. If you get an ME degree and work a job that requires EE skills, chances are if they hired you, you'll learn those skills on the job. Same goes for vice versa. I know a guy who was in charge of making programs to run nuclear reactors at the power plant he worked at. He graduated with a PhD in ME. He had neither a nuclear engineering degree nor a computer science degree, but they taught him all of the stuff he needed to know after he got the job. So for now I say just go for whatever you really think interests you the most, you'll learn the other stuff along the way.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a dual major in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Dual majoring in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering allows students to gain a comprehensive understanding of both fields, providing a strong foundation for a wide range of career opportunities. It also allows students to develop a diverse set of skills, making them more versatile and marketable in the job market.

2. Is it more challenging to pursue a dual major in E.E. and M.E. compared to a single major?

Yes, pursuing a dual major in E.E. and M.E. can be more challenging as it requires balancing coursework from two different disciplines. However, it also provides a unique and well-rounded educational experience.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within both E.E. and M.E. during my dual major?

Yes, many universities offer specialized tracks or concentrations within the dual major program in E.E. and M.E. Students can choose to focus on a particular area of interest, such as robotics, renewable energy, or systems engineering.

4. What career options are available with a dual major in E.E. and M.E.?

A dual major in E.E. and M.E. can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, energy, and telecommunications. Graduates can work as design engineers, project managers, research scientists, or even pursue a career in academia.

5. How can I determine if a dual major in E.E. and M.E. is the right choice for me?

It is essential to carefully consider your interests and goals before pursuing a dual major in E.E. and M.E. Research the coursework and career opportunities in both fields, and speak with advisors and current students to gain a better understanding of the program. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in math and physics before starting a dual major in E.E. and M.E.