Overcoming a Late Start in Physics: My Journey and Future Prospects

• Thread starter voyager77
  • Start date
In summary, Unfortunatly I discovered my passion for physics well into studying for my bachelors degree in philosophy, and now I'm in a position where by the time I'm done taking all of the lower division physics courses required to re-enter my school (UC Berkeley) as a physics major, I will be almost 25 years old by the time I graduate with a B.S. in physics. This is really depressing since most physics students are well into graduate school studies by that age, and I will be around 30 by the time I can begin post-doc research. I'm just wondering
voyager77
Unfortunatly I discovered my passion for physics well into studying for my bachelors degree in philosophy, and now I'm in a position where by the time I'm done taking all of the lower division physics courses required to re-enter my school (UC Berkeley) as a physics major, I will be almost 25 years old by the time I graduate with a B.S. in physics. This is really depressing since most physics students are well into graduate school studies by that age, and I will be around 30 by the time I can begin post-doc research. I'm just wondering whether my late start will affect my career much. I don't want to seem like the dumb guy who's older than all of my peers studying physics.

I don't know...I'm really excited about deciding to pursue physics and I've never been more sure and excited about my future, but I'm still depressed since it's such a long way off. With everything going on with the LHC in Europe I feel like I'm missing out on the most important research during my life span. Maybe I'm just being too negative but all of this is really bothering me...

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be what... 3 years behind?

You're not that old. Make sure its something you want to do though, and have the finances to back that up.

It's not how you start its how you finish. And you are not alone either! :approve:

You and I are lot alike. I'm not doing great in Academics, its not like I didn't try, I do put 10 hours a day studying and only to receive poor results in College. But never say never, don't you quit. By the time I am done in EE (25-26) I would be considered a Grampa Engineer, but who gives a **sniff** I could be doing something better like going into Medical Career and make tons of money or be a Dentist and cashing in $25,000 a month but No I am dumb, and ignorant, I decided I wanted to be an Engineer. That's what I'm going to do, Yeah!

Even if it means going broke doing this haha. For the love of Science! :cry: :grumpy:

Yeah...perhaps I'm making too big a deal of this...I mean the age differences amongst grad school students is much larger than undergrads so I'm sure no one would be too alarmed to see someone of that age anyway. I guess I just need to cheer up.

I never understand why people think that there's some kind of a race to get finished - that they won't be successful if they don't complete a PhD by the time they reach some arbitrary age. Often, older students have a bit of a leg up on the rest because they have just a little more focus on their goals, and more life experience to draw on. And in you're specific case, we're only talking a few years - people won't even notice your age difference unless you tell them.

If physics is what you want to do, pursue it.

voyager77 said:
Yeah...perhaps I'm making too big a deal of this...I mean the age differences amongst grad school students is much larger than undergrads so I'm sure no one would be too alarmed to see someone of that age anyway. I guess I just need to cheer up.

Precisely! Not everyone goes directly from undergrad to grad school either. Many grad students have taken time to work jobs before deciding they wanted to further their education, or have taken time off to raise young children. Some go straight to a Ph.D. program, and others do a Master's first. And, everyone's research progress goes at different paces...some manage to finish in 4-5 years, while others drag along for 8 years.

I agree grad school is vastly different the undergrad age wise. A lot of Physics major go out an teach or do other work just to try it and earn some $$$, a lot end up unhappy and go back to school.

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in physics later in life?

I have always been interested in science, but I initially pursued a different career path. However, after attending a physics lecture, I was fascinated by the subject and decided to pursue it further, even though I was already in my late 20s.

2. What challenges did you face when starting physics later in life?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was catching up on the foundational knowledge and skills that my peers had already acquired. I had to work extra hard and put in more effort to understand complex concepts and catch up with the coursework.

3. How did you overcome these challenges?

I overcame these challenges by seeking help from my professors and peers, as well as studying extra materials and practicing regularly. I also joined study groups and attended workshops to improve my understanding and skills.

4. What advice do you have for others who are considering starting a career in physics later in life?

My advice would be to not be discouraged by your age and to stay determined and focused on your goals. Seek help when needed and be open to learning from others. Also, don't compare yourself to younger students and remember that it's never too late to pursue your passion.

5. What are your future prospects in the field of physics?

I am currently pursuing a PhD in physics and hope to continue conducting research and making contributions to the field. I also hope to inspire others who may be starting a career in physics later in life and show them that it's possible to succeed and thrive in this field at any age.