Physics Books for Non-Physics Person?

In summary: But I can't think of them right now.In summary, the senior electrical engineering major is looking for books that are interesting and accessible to someone like her. She recommends "The Elegant Universe," "The Nature of Physical Law," and "Road to Reality" as good choices.
HD555
Hi guys,

I'm a senior electrical engineering major. I haven't taken any advanced physics courses, aside from General Physics I and II... and Electromagnetic Theory (junior level). I've always been interested in physics, but in a different sense than most people in this forum.

I'd like to just casually read about physics, not really compute mathematical equations, etc. I do enough of at work and at school. I'm looking for books (hopefully paperback versions) that someone like me could read during lunch, on the go, etc. to gain a better understanding of the physics world. I don't have any preferences in regard to which branch, but something interesting that a layman would read.

Any suggestions? (I've already read The Elegant Universe, BTW).

Thanks,
HD555

Physics news on Phys.org
You might like "The Nature of Physical Law" by Feynmann.

jimmysnyder said:
You might like "The Nature of Physical Law" by Feynmann.

Character assassination.

A very interesting book.

George Jones said:
Character assassination.

A very interesting book.
The Character of Physical Law. My apologies to Ralph Feynmamm.

Black Holes and Time warps by Kip Thorne. the best physics book for non physicists I've ever read and I've read a ton of them.
there are also about 14,985 books by Gribbins. None of them are outstanding, but they are okay.

I liked Road to Reality by Penrose. It has a lot of math, but its still a pretty casual read.

HD555 said:
Hi guys,

I'm a senior electrical engineering major. I haven't taken any advanced physics courses, aside from General Physics I and II... and Electromagnetic Theory (junior level). I've always been interested in physics, but in a different sense than most people in this forum.

I'd like to just casually read about physics, not really compute mathematical equations, etc. I do enough of at work and at school. I'm looking for books (hopefully paperback versions) that someone like me could read during lunch, on the go, etc. to gain a better understanding of the physics world. I don't have any preferences in regard to which branch, but something interesting that a layman would read.

Any suggestions? (I've already read The Elegant Universe, BTW).

Thanks,
HD555

I really enjoy "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker.

For best results, read in this order:

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson
"Isaac Newton" by James Gleick
"Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson
"The Universe in a Nutshell" by Steven Hawking
"Relativity: The Special and the General Theory" by Albert Einstein
"Death by Blackhole" by Neil DeGrass Tyson
"The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg
"QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman
"The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin

Space, Time & Things is a wonderful overview of how physicists think about the world.

There have been many threads about popular physics books, so you'll want to search the archives.

gendou2 said:
For best results, read in this order:

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson
"Isaac Newton" by James Gleick
"Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson
"The Universe in a Nutshell" by Steven Hawking
"Relativity: The Special and the General Theory" by Albert Einstein
"Death by Blackhole" by Neil DeGrass Tyson
"The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg
"QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman
"The Trouble With Physics" by Lee Smolin

a Short History of Nearly Everything is a great book, not going to teach you a lot of physics, but it is good.
the Universe in a Nutshell sucked.

Vid said:
I liked Road to Reality by Penrose. It has a lot of math, but its still a pretty casual read.

I absolutely love this book (though I still don't understand much of it). But even if you skip all the math, it is a very "deep" book, maybe too demanding to be consumed during lunch. You definitely have to take your time and concentrate on this book.

tribdog said:
Black Holes and Time warps by Kip Thorne. the best physics book for non physicists I've ever read and I've read a ton of them.
there are also about 14,985 books by Gribbins. None of them are outstanding, but they are okay.

Thorne's book is great, I 2nd your recommendation. Even if the chapter on wormholes and time-machines is a bit crazy (But all the other stuff in the book is absolutely serious and reliable. Very easy to read too, great for lunch breaks !)

The material on gravitational wave detectors is a bit outdated, because there has been a lot of activity there during recent years. But that's no problem - HD555, if you are interested I could surely find some online stuff that gets you updated on recent developments.

tribdog said:
a Short History of Nearly Everything is a great book, not going to teach you a lot of physics, but it is good.
the Universe in a Nutshell sucked.
Hawking is a good physicist, but admittedly not the best science educator.
I loved it anyway.
There are tons more books I would recommend if I could remember their darn titles...

1. What are some good physics books for non-physics people?

Some popular physics books that are accessible for non-physics people include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli. These books explain complex physics concepts in a way that is easy for non-experts to understand.

2. Do I need a background in physics to read these books?

No, these books are written for non-physics people and do not require any prior knowledge of physics. However, some basic understanding of scientific principles and mathematics may be helpful in fully comprehending the concepts presented.

3. Are there any physics books that are specifically written for non-scientists?

Yes, there are many physics books that are written specifically for non-scientists. Some examples include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, "Why Does E=mc²?" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Physics" by Johnnie T. Dennis.

4. Can these books be helpful for learning practical applications of physics?

Yes, some physics books for non-physics people also include explanations of real-world applications of physics concepts. For example, "The Physics of Everyday Things" by James Kakalios explores the physics behind everyday objects and events.

5. Is there a particular order in which I should read these books?

No, there is no specific order in which these books should be read. Each book covers different topics and can be read independently. You may choose to start with a book that covers a topic you are most interested in, or with a book that is highly recommended by others.