Capacitor Discharge problem

In summary, a capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 6.00×10-5 farads. Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 9.20×101 ohms. Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s)
haxxorboi

Homework Statement

A capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 8.00×10-5 farads. Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 8.60×101 ohms. Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s)

Homework Equations

I=V/R
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

C=Q/V=8E-5 F=1/V V=12500 V

I=V/R=12500/86=145.348 A

145.348 C/S = .145348 C/mS

.145348*4=.5814 C transferred in that 4 milliseconds

1-.5814=.4186 C left

So the answer would be .4186 C I think but I'm getting an "Incorrect Answer" apparently

Physics news on Phys.org
haxxorboi said:

Homework Statement

A capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 8.00×10-5 farads. Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 8.60×101 ohms. Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s)

Homework Equations

I=V/R
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

C=Q/V=8E-5 F=1/V V=12500 V

I=V/R=12500/86=145.348 A

145.348 C/S = .145348 C/mS

.145348*4=.5814 C transferred in that 4 milliseconds

1-.5814=.4186 C left

So the answer would be .4186 C I think but I'm getting an "Incorrect Answer" apparently

This is a time varying current flow. You will want to consider the Charge as a function of time.

[tex]Q_{(t)} = Q_o*e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

LowlyPion said:
This is a time varying current flow. You will want to consider the Charge as a function of time.

[tex]Q_{(t)} = Q_o*e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

I've never seen that equation before and I can't find it in our chapter.

Let me see if I understand this equation...

Final charge=1 Coulomb * 1.602E-19-.004/(86*8E-5)

Does that seem right or am I misinterpreting part of the equation.

Thanks

"e" is the natural base = 2.71828..., rather than the charge of the electron, in this case. Just write it as "e", and use the exponental function on your calculator.

Phrak said:
"e" is the natural base = 2.71828..., rather than the charge of the electron, in this case. Just write it as "e", and use the exponental function on your calculator.

This is correct. Not e the charge of an electron. e the natural log

It's typically used to express the decay in RC networks.

SWEET! The answer ended up being .5591 C which was correct with the system.

Thanks so much for the help guys, I feel stupid with not recognizing which "e" that was seeing as this is an exponential decay. I'm not sure how we were supposed to know how to do this problem though as I can't even find this equation in our course pack I have no idea how my Prof expected our Phy101 class to know this without going for help.

Thanks again guys for the help!

I have the same problem but with these numbers
A capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 6.00×10-5 farads. Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 9.20×101 ohms. Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s)

what kind of formula do I use to solve this

1. What is a capacitor discharge problem?

A capacitor discharge problem occurs when a capacitor is unable to hold or release its charge properly. This can be caused by various factors such as a faulty capacitor, incorrect circuit design, or external interference.

2. How do I know if I am experiencing a capacitor discharge problem?

There are a few signs that may indicate a capacitor discharge problem, including a decrease in the performance or efficiency of your circuit, unexpected voltage fluctuations, or a burning smell coming from the capacitor. It is important to properly diagnose the issue to determine if it is indeed a capacitor discharge problem.

3. What are the potential consequences of a capacitor discharge problem?

A capacitor discharge problem can lead to various consequences, depending on the severity of the issue and the type of circuit in which it occurs. These consequences can range from minor malfunctions to serious damage to the entire circuit or even to connected devices. It is important to address this problem promptly to avoid any potential risks.

4. How can I prevent a capacitor discharge problem?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent a capacitor discharge problem. Firstly, make sure to use high-quality capacitors and follow proper circuit design guidelines. Additionally, avoid exposing capacitors to extreme temperatures or external interference. Regular maintenance and monitoring of circuits can also help prevent capacitor discharge problems.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix a capacitor discharge problem?

If you suspect a capacitor discharge problem, start by checking the connections and overall condition of the capacitor. If there are no visible issues, you may need to use a multimeter to test the capacitor's capacitance and resistance. If the capacitor is faulty, it will need to be replaced. If the issue is with the circuit design, you may need to consult a professional or make necessary adjustments to the circuit. It is important to handle capacitors with caution and follow safety protocols when troubleshooting and fixing a capacitor discharge problem.