Solving a Kinetic Energy Conceptual Question: 0.5m * v^2?

• Thread starter netrunnr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the ball has 0.5m*v^2 of kinetic energy when it is thrown into the air and it has less kinetic energy after encountering air resistance.
netrunnr
A ball is thrown into the air with 100J of kinetic energy. When it returns to its original level after encountering air resistances what is it kinetic energy?

I have KE = 0.5m * v^2
I am not sure how to approach this problem as I don't have the mass or the velocity or the height of the ball.

am I using the wrong formula?
once it starts falling down isn't it really gravitation potential energy? is there really any kinetic energy there once its heading downwards? doesn't kinetic energy depend on the frame of reference?

I am not sure what the teacher wants here in this answer. I think I am not really understanding the question. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

netrunnr said:
A ball is thrown into the air with 100J of kinetic energy. When it returns to its original level after encountering air resistances what is it kinetic energy?

Hi netrunnr! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Does the question say how much the air resistance is? :confused:

nope :( doesn't say anything about air resistance.

tiny-tim said:
Hi netrunnr! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Does the question say how much the air resistance is? :confused:

netrunnr said:
nope :( doesn't say anything about air resistance.

But you said it said "after encountering air resistances" …

did you mean "without encountering air resistances"? :confused:

netrunnr said:

I have KE = 0.5m * v^2
The problem doesn't ask for either m or v so this is irrelevant.

I am not sure how to approach this problem as I don't have the mass or the velocity or the height of the ball.

am I using the wrong formula?
once it starts falling down isn't it really gravitation potential energy? is there really any kinetic energy there once its heading downwards? doesn't kinetic energy depend on the frame of reference?

I am not sure what the teacher wants here in this answer. I think I am not really understanding the question. help?
You titled this "conceptual problem" so I expect that you are not asked for specific values but just a general statement. The total energy is "Kinetic energy plus Potential Energy" and potential energy is always relative to some initial value. Initially, we know that the kinetic energy is 100J and we can take the potential energy at that height to be 0. When the ball returns to its initial height, its potential energy is again 0. What has happened to its kinetic energy? Is it the same, or is more, or is it less than before? What would be your answer if there were no air resistance?

I SEEE
okay so the kinetic energy decreases going up and increases going down. at the point of origin it recaptures all the kinetic energy it lost on the way up...
so then after encountering air resistance its kinetic energy is less than what it was when it started? right? so <100J ?

yah its conceptual so I think that answer will be acceptable.

1. What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 0.5 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration.

3. How is kinetic energy related to an object's speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's speed. As an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can an object have negative kinetic energy?

No, kinetic energy is a scalar quantity and cannot be negative. However, the direction of an object's velocity can be negative, resulting in a negative kinetic energy value in the equation.

5. How does mass affect an object's kinetic energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its kinetic energy will be, assuming all other factors such as speed remain constant.