Atomic structure and determing effective nuclear charge

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the effective nuclear charge of the 3s state of Na with an energy of -5.14 eV. The equation used is Zeffective = Z - S, found online as it is not listed in the textbook. The conversation also touches on finding the expression for energy levels in terms of the principle quantum number and mentions the importance of knowing an equation that relates energy to the principle quantum number.
joker314

Homework Statement

The 3s state of Na has an energy of -5.14 eV. Determine the effective nuclear charge.

Homework Equations

Zeffective = Z - S (not listed in textbook, found this online when trying to figure out the problem)

The Attempt at a Solution

Nothing in the textbook in this section talk about determining nuclear charge. I know that Na is in the 2s[tex]^{2}[/tex]2p[tex]^{6}[/tex] group.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a hydrogenic atom, what is the expression for the energy-levels in terms of the principle quantum-number?

I believe that would be 1s

joker314 said:
I believe that would be 1s

no. you need an equation that relates energy "E" to the principle quantum number "n". Do you know an equation like that?

I do now... Even though I read that response too late. The grader of my homework gave me full credit anyways for a sub-par result... But I appreciate the response because it let me on the right track after the fact!

1) What is the atomic structure of an atom?

The atomic structure of an atom consists of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in shells or energy levels.

2) What is the effective nuclear charge?

The effective nuclear charge is the net positive charge experienced by an electron in an atom, taking into account the shielding effect of inner electrons.

3) How is effective nuclear charge determined?

Effective nuclear charge is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus, minus the number of inner shell electrons that shield the outer electrons from the full nuclear charge.

4) How does effective nuclear charge affect atomic properties?

The effective nuclear charge affects atomic properties such as ionization energy, atomic size, and chemical reactivity. As the effective nuclear charge increases, the attraction between the nucleus and outer electrons increases, making it more difficult to remove those electrons and decreasing the atomic size.

5) How does the arrangement of electrons in an atom relate to effective nuclear charge?

The arrangement of electrons in an atom, specifically the number of inner shell electrons, determines the effective nuclear charge experienced by outer electrons. The more inner shell electrons there are, the greater the shielding effect and the lower the effective nuclear charge for outer electrons.