Power Transmisson Homework: TL, VSWR, & Impedance Calc.

In summary, the problem involves a 50 ohm source driving a 50 ohm T-line that is 1/8 of a wavelength long, terminating in a load of 50-j25 ohms. The task is to calculate the transmission line (TL), voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), and input impedance seen by the source. The relevant equations are not specified. The attempt to solve the problem is not provided. The question of whether the absolute value of the imaginary and real parts of ZL should be taken or if the calculation for VSWR is correct is raised. The possibility of using a Smith Chart for an easier solution is also mentioned."
dlthomas

Homework Statement

A source with 50 ohm source impedance drives a 50 ohm T-line that is 1/8 of a wavelength long, terminated in a load Z=50-j25 ohms. calculate TL, VSWR, and the input impedance seen by the source

Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant Equations?

Attempt to the Solution?

Same goes for your other post as well.

ok sorry about that, this is my attempt at this problem so far.

i am not sure if i take the absolute value of both the imaginary and real part of ZL or if i did the calculation for VSWR right, please check my work.

Would this problem be easier done with a Smith Chart, if so could someone walk me through that method?

Attachments

• 2.16.doc
    143 KB · Views: 320

1. What is TL or Transmission Line?

A Transmission Line (TL) is a specialized cable or wire used to transfer electrical signals or power from one point to another. It is designed to minimize signal loss, distortion, and interference during transmission.

2. What is VSWR?

VSWR stands for Voltage Standing Wave Ratio. It is a measure of how well a TL is matched to the source and load impedance. A high VSWR indicates poor impedance matching and can result in signal loss and reflection.

3. How is VSWR calculated?

VSWR is calculated by dividing the maximum voltage by the minimum voltage on a TL. It can also be calculated by using the ratio of the peak voltage to the minimum voltage or the ratio of the peak current to the minimum current.

4. What is impedance and why is it important in power transmission?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. In power transmission, high impedance can lead to signal loss and distortion, while low impedance can cause overheating and damage to equipment. It is important to match the impedance of the TL to the source and load to prevent these issues.

5. How do you calculate impedance in a TL?

Impedance can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current on a TL. It can also be calculated by using the ratio of the forward voltage to the reflected voltage or the ratio of the forward current to the reflected current. Other factors such as the length, diameter, and material of the TL can also affect impedance and must be taken into consideration in the calculation.