Express Trigonometric Identities of Terms of Variables

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving the cosine, sine, and cosine of a complex number, but was unable to solve for the senine. They found that all of the terms were already in terms of x, and that the first two terms were negative and the last one was positive.
TheShehanigan

Homework Statement

Be x an element in the interval [Pi/4, 3Pi/4] express cos(2x), sin x, sin (x+pi) in terms of x. You must know that, for this question, cos x = z and z will always be < 0.

Homework Equations

cos(2x) = 2 (cos(x))^2 - 1
cos(2x) = cos^2 x - sin ^2 x
sin^2 x + cos ^2 x = 1
sin(x+pi) = -sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm doing this for a friend, and it's been ages since I have tried this type of problem. Anyways, for cos(2x) I just used the identity cos(2x) = cos^2 x - sen ^2 x which can be proven with the Pythagorean theorem to be actually another form of cos(2x) = 2 cos^2 x - 1. I don't know, though, if that would be the final answer of if I need to express it further (since basically I have everything expressed as constants and cos), making what I think is the answer 2z^2 - 1.

I have really no idea for the sin(x), but I guess I will be using the Pythagorean identity. I got this document like 5 minutes ago and I've got to leave, so yeah. Just skimmed it and nothing came to mind.

The real problem is, though, sin(x+pi). If sin(x+pi) = -sin x using the sum of angles formula (and everything with a cosine cancels in there) how can I express sen(x+pi) in terms of the cosine?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what you are asking. You say that the problem is "Be x an element in the interval [Pi/4, 3Pi/4] express cos(2x), sin x, sin (x+pi) in terms of x."

All of those are already in terms of x! Since you mention "You must know that, for this question, cos x = z " is it possible that you mean either "express cos(2x), sin x, sin (x+pi) in terms of z"?

If so then use the formulas you give:
cos(2x)= 2 (cos(x))2 - 1= 2z2- 1

[tex]sin(x)= \pm\sqrt{1- cos^2(x)}= \pm\sqrt{1- z^2}[/tex]
but you will have to be careful about that sign: it can't stay "[itex]\pm[/itex]"!

[tex]sin(x+\pi)= - sin(x)= -(\pm\sqrt{1- cos^2(x)})= -(\pm\sqrt{1- z^2})[/tex]
and again you will have to think about what sign to put on this.

Right. My bad, I forgot to write that last part of the instructions.

Obviously, given the z<0 part of the answer and the domain of the function, then the first two shall be negative and the last one will be positive.

It was as I thought, so thank you for clearing that out. Sucks when you can't remember old stuff you did ages ago.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that relate different trigonometric functions to each other. They are used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations.

2. What is the difference between an identity and an equation?

An identity is an equation that is always true, regardless of the values of the variables involved. On the other hand, an equation is only true for specific values of the variables.

3. How do you express trigonometric identities in terms of variables?

To express a trigonometric identity in terms of variables, you need to use basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations. This involves substituting the variables into the identity and simplifying the equation until it is in terms of the desired variables.

4. Why do we use trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations. They are also helpful in proving other mathematical theorems and in applications such as physics and engineering.

5. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.