Coloured light. plancks constant.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics essay on colored light and the investigation of higher frequency light transferring more energy due to the equation E=hf. The person also wants to prove their results using Planck's constant and plot the relationship between energy and frequency using measured data such as current, voltage, time, temperature rise, and wavelength. However, there are some clarifications needed, such as the fact that red light actually has the lowest frequency and longest wavelength in the visible spectrum and the possibility of different amounts of transmitted light through colored filters affecting the results. To accurately measure the energy transferred, a more complex and expensive experiment would be needed.
barooonscape
My physics essay is on coloured light.

after investigating i found that the higher level frequency light red yellow transferred more energy

this is due to E=hf.

now i want to prove my results coincide with Plancks constant.
i want to plot E against f, the gradient should be h.
i have I,V, time, temperature rise and wavelength.
what equation do i need to get Energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
That all depends on what the context of I, V, time, temperature rise and wavelength is. Care to elaborate?

ok this was my pratical.

i connected a powerpack to a lamp and placed a coloured filter on top, with ammeters and voltmeters attached.

i put a thermometer 5 cm away fom the lamp and measured the temperature rise. the

red light heated the thermometer up the most followed by yelow green and blue.

this was because E=hf and red has the highest frequency. i have the results but how do i find the Eneregy transferred so i can plot it on a E versus f graph?

i measeured the temp rise for 10 minutes each

There are a number of things to clarify here.

1. Red light has the lowest frequency, and longest wavelength, in the visible spectrum.

2. If this is an ordinary incandescent lamp, it produces more power at red wavelengths than at blue. This simple fact explains the different temperatures you measured.

3. The filters you used could be transmitting different amounts of incident light. For example, the red filter might transmit wavelengths between 630 and 700 nm, while the blue filter might transmit between 470 and 480 nm. This would lead to more heating with the red filter, simply because a larger range (70 nm) of wavelengths are transmitted than for the blue filter.

To do what you are trying, you would need an experiment that allows a fixed number of photons, no matter what the wavelength, to be absorbed by the thermometer. I don't know just how one would accomplish this, but it would be a very complicated and expensive experiment to do.

1. What is coloured light?

Coloured light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of different wavelengths and frequencies, which determine its colour.

2. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is approximately equal to 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

3. How is Planck's constant related to coloured light?

Planck's constant is used to calculate the energy of photons in coloured light. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and Planck's constant is the constant of proportionality in this relationship.

4. What is the significance of Planck's constant in physics?

Planck's constant is a crucial part of many important equations in physics, including the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It also helps to explain various phenomena, such as blackbody radiation and the photoelectric effect.

5. How was Planck's constant discovered?

Planck's constant was discovered by German physicist Max Planck in 1900. He was trying to explain the spectrum of radiation emitted by a blackbody at different temperatures. His equation, which involved Planck's constant, accurately predicted the spectrum and led to the development of quantum mechanics.