Convert Units for Thermodynamics Calculations?

In summary, you can use either Kelvin or Rankine units in your calculations, depending on the situation.
KFC
I am reading something about thermodynamics and everything are not given in SI units. In the material, they use Fahrenheit for temperature, BTU for heat, lb for mass and in^2 for area. Now I need to calculate something with the data given in those units, well, I need to apply equation for ideal case, to assure the result of my calculation makes sense, must I convert all unit to SI? I know ideal gas equation defined in Kelvin unit. Can I only convert the temperature to Kelvin while keeping others units unchanged ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can google all the conversions you need. I suggest using whatever units you are comfortable with - that's what I do. I switch back and forth, depending on the situation.

Using temperature is a bit more tricky than other quantities, since for other quantities there is usually a well-defined ratio for different for units, but for different units of temperature there is a ratio with an offset. To be safe, it's usually best to do all temperature calculations in Kelvin.

Remember google does automatic conversation of units - just type the question into the search box

enter "9.81m/s^2 in furlongs/fortnight^2"
gives the answer "9.81 (m / (s^2)) = 7.13499487 × 10^10 furlongs / (fortnight^2)"

Thanks all your reply. I know how to do the units conversion, my question is just want to know if it is a must to convert temperature to kelvin before calculation? Since I was told that ideal gas equation only work in absolute temperature.

You can use Rankine (the Fahrenheit absolute scale) and the value of R will be different but otherwise the equation is the same.

Use unit converter, I use one below
http://www.convertcenter.com

Last edited by a moderator:
KFC said:
Thanks all your reply. I know how to do the units conversion, my question is just want to know if it is a must to convert temperature to kelvin before calculation? Since I was told that ideal gas equation only work in absolute temperature.

mgb_phys said:
You can use Rankine (the Fahrenheit absolute scale) and the value of R will be different but otherwise the equation is the same.

Correct. Temperature must be in absolute units. Both Kelvin and Rankine units would work. Fahrenheit and Celsius will not.

"absolute temperature" and "Kelvin" are not synonymous.

We live in a mixed world, and it is much smarter to learn to function with both SI and US Customary units. Those who think that every thing must be converted to SI units before any calculations can be made will make a lot of pointless conversions, and then will find that it is necessary to convert the final results back in many cases. Until such time as the US adopts the SI system, it is foolish not to learn to function in both systems.

Dr.D said:
We live in a mixed world, and it is much smarter to learn to function with both SI and US Customary units. Those who think that every thing must be converted to SI units before any calculations can be made will make a lot of pointless conversions, and then will find that it is necessary to convert the final results back in many cases. Until such time as the US adopts the SI system, it is foolish not to learn to function in both systems.

Thanks for reply. Well, I totally understand that. The reason I am asking this is because in some case you don't have freedom to use any unit you want. For example, in the state equation of ideal gas, we cannot plugin the termperature in Celsius. So I am just thinking it is safe to use SI units in calculation.

1. How do I convert units for thermodynamics calculations?

To convert units for thermodynamics calculations, you can use conversion factors or equations specific to the type of unit conversion you need. For example, to convert temperature from Celsius to Kelvin, you can use the equation K = °C + 273.15.

2. Why is unit conversion important in thermodynamics?

Unit conversion is important in thermodynamics because different units are used to measure different properties, such as temperature, pressure, and energy. In order to accurately perform calculations and compare data, it is necessary to convert all units to a consistent system of measurement.

3. What is the difference between SI units and non-SI units in thermodynamics?

SI units (Systeme International) are a standardized system of units used in most scientific fields, including thermodynamics. Non-SI units are other commonly used units that are not part of the SI system, such as Fahrenheit for temperature or bar for pressure. It is important to convert non-SI units to SI units for consistency in thermodynamics calculations.

4. How do I convert between metric and imperial units in thermodynamics?

To convert between metric and imperial units in thermodynamics, you can use conversion factors or equations specific to the type of unit conversion you need. For example, to convert between Joules (metric) and British Thermal Units (imperial) for energy, you can use the conversion factor 1 J = 0.000948 Btu.

5. Are there any online tools or resources for converting units in thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for converting units in thermodynamics. Some examples include unit conversion calculators, conversion tables, and websites that provide conversion equations and explanations for different units. It is important to double check the accuracy and reliability of any online tools or resources used for unit conversion.