Is love like curved spacetime in this poem?

• Thread starter marmot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the poem "Curved Spacetime" explores the concept of space and time through powerful imagery such as a dead tree and a soldier without limbs. The speaker feels overwhelmed and sinking as the curves of spacetime pull them in, but they are momentarily saved by the image of a loved one's eyes. The poem also references the beauty and significance of general relativity.
marmot
"curved spacetime" [poem]

every time i try to reach out for her cream-face,
space and time -
that dead tree,
the soldier without limbs,
the clock, the bell, and the light cone--
curve below my feet,
making me sink--
making me drown.

and just the moment before i disappear,
i see her eyes,
like dust,
drift away -
forever.

Last edited:
Likes ranjitaranjita
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Very nice, Marmot. Are you seeking feedback on your poetry? Otherwise this seems more appropriate content for your blog than a GD post.

just feedback. i don't know i feel its good for sharing here because you folks get the references. and general relativity is the most beauitful physical theory ever created.

Pretty nice. I also recommend listening to R.E.M.'s "Feeling Gravity's Pull", which has some GR and Mach's principle references.

1. What is curved spacetime?

Curved spacetime is a concept in physics that describes the curvature of the fabric of space and time due to the presence of massive objects. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does curved spacetime affect objects?

The curvature of spacetime affects objects by altering their paths through space. This is what we experience as gravity. Massive objects, like planets and stars, create a curvature in spacetime that causes smaller objects to fall towards them.

3. Is spacetime actually curved?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime is actually curved. This has been confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects like stars.

4. Can spacetime be visualized?

Spacetime can be visualized using mathematical models and diagrams, but it is a difficult concept to fully grasp and cannot be directly observed with our senses. It is a four-dimensional concept that includes both space and time.

5. How does curved spacetime relate to the fabric of the universe?

Curved spacetime is a fundamental aspect of the fabric of the universe. It is what holds everything together and determines the motion of all objects. It is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of the universe on both a small and large scale.