Relative Motion in 2D - a plane & wind speed.

In summary, a plane with an airspeed of 620 km/hr traveled 1085 km to the north in 2.00 hours, but due to wind, it had to adjust its course to 20° east of north. Using the equations for velocity and distance, the north component of the velocity was found to be 542.5 km/h. By subtracting this from the original airspeed, the wind speed was calculated to be -77.5 km/h. However, further calculations show that the actual wind speed was -42.7 km/h.
canucklehead

Homework Statement

A plane attains an airspeed of 620 km/hr. The plane sets out for a destination 1085 km to the north (a 0° course) but discovers that the plane must be headed 20° east of north to fly there directly. The plane arrives in 2.00 h.

What is the wind speed?
What is the direction of the wind?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + a*t
x = vi*t + 0.5a*t^2
vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a*x
V in x-dir'n = |Vi|cosΘ
V in y-dir'n = |Vi|sinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the north component of velocity as 1850km/2.00h = 542.5km/h

But after that I am completely lost.

Then, I think to find the direction of the wind u need inverse-tan of the y-dir'n velocity & x-dir'n velocity of the wind? But I can't do that without getting the first part first.

Please, help. Thx.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
by the way 1850km/2.00h = 542.5m/s is not right...
1850km/2.00h = 542.5m/H... you need use hour
then do this 545.5-620=-74.5km/h (wind speed)
the wind must be negative

Newton V said:
by the way 1850km/2.00h = 542.5m/s is not right...
1850km/2.00h = 542.5m/H... you need use hour
then do this 545.5-620=-74.5km/h (wind speed)
the wind must be negative

Ah, yes, that was a typo. I meant to say 542.5km/h. Thx for pointing out my mistake.

Btw, in your calculation of wind speed you subtracted 620km/h from 545.5km/h... It's supposed to be 542.5km/h, right? Then that means wind speed is -77.5km/h??

yeah...sorry i am doing so many problems...

also please consider the type of air plant... because sometime negative diraction wind actually giving the force to air plane...

Not so fast there Amelia Earhart.

It's true that the plane had to fly a longer distance, but the wind speed would have been -77 if the pilot had stayed on a totally Northern course. But he didn't.

Draw a picture and along his flight heading he went in the air 1240km, but he ended up only 1085 km due north.

What wind vector would produce that result?

Ok, so I found his NE distance to be 1154.6km by Pythagoras.
Then: 1154.6km / 2.00h = 577.3km/h (the speed due NE).

Next: 577.3km/h - 620km/h = -42.7km/h as the wind speed... but it's WRONG. What am I doing wrong?

where you get 1154.6?

1850/2=542.5? it is 1085

canucklehead said:
Ok, so I found his NE distance to be 1154.6km by Pythagoras.
Then: 1154.6km / 2.00h = 577.3km/h (the speed due NE).

Next: 577.3km/h - 620km/h = -42.7km/h as the wind speed... but it's WRONG. What am I doing wrong?

For one thing the hippopotamus is 1240 for your distance vector on the N-20-E heading. 2 hours at 620km/h = 1240.

Then during the time of his flight the wind moved the plane to the North axis.

What is that distance?

That distance divided by the 2 hours is your average wind speed in km/h.

1. What is relative motion in 2D?

Relative motion in 2D refers to the motion of an object or point in two-dimensional space relative to another object or point. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the objects in relation to each other.

2. How is relative motion affected by a plane's speed?

The speed of a plane will affect the relative motion between the plane and the surrounding air. If the plane is flying at a higher speed, the relative motion will be greater, while a slower speed will result in a smaller relative motion.

3. How does wind speed impact relative motion?

Wind speed also plays a role in relative motion. The faster the wind speed, the greater the relative motion between the plane and the wind. This can affect the plane's trajectory and speed.

4. How do you calculate relative motion in 2D?

To calculate relative motion in 2D, you need to know the velocities and directions of both objects. You can then use vector addition or subtraction to determine the relative motion between the two objects.

5. Why is understanding relative motion important in aviation?

Relative motion is crucial in aviation because it helps pilots and air traffic controllers understand the movement of aircraft in relation to each other and the surrounding air. This allows for safe navigation and adjustments to be made to maintain proper distance and avoid collisions.