Motion Experiment Ideas for EPI Prac

In summary, the speaker is seeking ideas for an experiment to conduct for their Extended Practical Investigation on the topic of Motion. They initially considered proving the Drag Coefficient of a balloon, but realized they would need the terminal velocity of the balloon to do so. They are now open to suggestions and are grateful for any help. A topic involving the simple harmonic oscillator, such as comparing the equations of motion for a mass connected to a spring and for a pendulum, is suggested.
krzysiek

Homework Statement

Hey,

Basically my EPI (Extended Practical Investigation) is coming up and I need to conduct an experiment in class and research at home. The topic is Motion, and I can pretty much do anything I want - as long as i can work something out, or prove a formula. I was initially thinking of doing proving the Drag Coefficient of a balloon, but to do that, I would essentially need the terminal velocity of the balloon to work out the Drag Coefficient - which I can't do effectively.

What i mean, for example, is ie - Taking 5 springs that are identical. Use one spring to calculate the K constant for those springs. Then, join the springs in parallel AND in series to work out if the K constant changes when they work together, and try and establish a relationship. That's just an example for you guys to see what I'm trying to say, basically just wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what type of topic to do for the Prac / Experiment.

I will be extremely greatful for any help or ideas in regards to what to test or experiment on!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think a topic involving the simple harmonic oscillator would be good. For example, you could show how the equations of motion for a mass connected to a spring and for a pendulum are similar.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility in your EPI topic and that's great! Motion is a broad topic, so you have a lot of options to choose from. Here are a few ideas that you could consider:

1. Investigate the relationship between mass and acceleration by using different objects (with different masses) on a ramp. You can measure the acceleration using a motion sensor or by tracking the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom of the ramp.

2. Measure the acceleration due to gravity using a pendulum. You can vary the length of the pendulum and measure the time it takes for one full swing to determine the relationship between length and time.

3. Explore the concept of projectile motion by launching a small ball at different angles and measuring its range. This can help you understand the relationship between launch angle and distance traveled.

4. Investigate the effect of air resistance on free-falling objects by dropping different objects (with different surface areas) from the same height and measuring their terminal velocity.

5. Use a motion sensor to analyze the motion of a cart on an inclined plane. You can vary the angle of the plane and measure the cart's acceleration to determine the relationship between angle and acceleration.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. Remember, the key is to choose an experiment that you can effectively measure and analyze, and that will help you understand a specific concept related to motion. Good luck with your EPI!

1. What are some easy motion experiment ideas for an EPI prac?

Some easy motion experiment ideas for an EPI prac include testing the effects of different surfaces on the distance a rolling ball travels, investigating the relationship between the angle of a ramp and the speed of a rolling object, and exploring the impact of air resistance on the motion of a falling object.

2. How can I incorporate technology into a motion experiment for EPI prac?

One way to incorporate technology into a motion experiment for EPI prac is by using motion sensors to collect data on the speed and velocity of an object. Another option is to use video analysis software to track the motion of an object and analyze its acceleration and displacement.

3. What are some good variables to manipulate in a motion experiment for EPI prac?

Some good variables to manipulate in a motion experiment for EPI prac include the angle of a ramp, the mass of an object, the surface or material of a ramp, and the air resistance or drag on an object. These variables can affect the motion of an object and can be easily controlled and measured in an experiment.

4. How can I make a motion experiment for EPI prac more challenging?

To make a motion experiment for EPI prac more challenging, you can increase the complexity of the variables and relationships being tested. For example, you can investigate the effect of both the angle and surface of a ramp on the motion of an object, or explore how different factors like air resistance and friction impact the motion of an object.

5. Are there any real-life applications for the concepts explored in a motion experiment for EPI prac?

Yes, the concepts explored in a motion experiment for EPI prac have many real-life applications. For example, understanding the relationship between force and motion can help engineers design more efficient machines and structures. Similarly, studying the effects of air resistance and friction can help improve the design of vehicles and sports equipment. These concepts are also important in fields like physics, engineering, and sports science.